Author Topic: $1/gallon increase today!  (Read 19189 times)

Offline wheels78ta

• Worth its weight in Gold
Re: $1/gallon increase today!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

I only need 5 seconds.......and it don't have to be behind closed doors................... ;)
1978 Y88 W72 WS6 4-SPD 79,000 miles
1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.4L Vortec 4x4
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L Vortec 4x4
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3L Vortec 4x4

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:06 PM »
It's merely "supply and demand".....just like "cigarettes don't cause cancer"...  Oil has just gone under $100 a barrel.

And all of you lets open up more area's for drilling fans....I heard on one of the political programs last night that they haven't even drilled on all the land that is already open.  That got me thinking that MAYBE the oil companies don't really want to add to the supply.  They like these prices.  Say it aint's so Joe!!!

Before I make this comment I'll say that I have not done any research on this so.... take it with a grain of salt.... one thought about the oil companies not drilling on land they have could be that there isn't a great probability of finding oil on those lands versus offshore.  It costs a lot of money to drill so it may be that they don't want to spend the money on areas that may not pay off.  And, if those lands were so great, then why are the democrats caving in on offshore drilling?  Could my theory be true?

Anyway, that's just a comment on the "lands that haven't yet drilled on" comments.

I don't know either about the land not drilled...but why the democrats are caving in on the issue is easy...most Americans are for opening up the land for drilling and the democrats are trying to win an election.

Offline crider

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »
It's up $1.35 so far today, around here!

Offline LonestaR

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »
It's $3.41 here; yesterday and today at my local Exxon. My tank is full for the week and I hope we don't get the $1.00 increase Sunday mourning; most gas stations are closed starting about 3 P.M. today.

On the oil drilling topic, use all the foreign oil till they're dry and later become the oil giants of the world.

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
Locally a few stations ran out of gas already because of the media frenzy of a gas shortage because of IKE. I have seen prices from the norm of 2 days ago 3.56 to 4.19. This is ludicrious.... the media is causing more damage than what could actually happen. In reality the reason the stations are running out is people are freaking out. PEOPLE NEED TO GET A GRIP!!!! I would not be surprised to hear that there is more to the goverment/ oil company scandal going on that also involves the media....
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Agreed. The media doesn't so much report the news anymore...they "make" the news  ::)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 12:03:21 AM »
Agreed. The media doesn't so much report the news anymore...they "make" the news  ::)

And they get quite POd when they get scooped.  I actually heard Sally Quinn say last week that she was miffed because the GOP VP selection wasn't offered up earlier so the press could properly "vett" it -- like we all have to depend upon the main stream media to clear the selections offered to us. ::)

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »
My wife called me from the a gas station this morning and told me the clerk was attempting to change the pump price while she was starting to feel up.  She chewed him out so he went over to the next pump and the guy using that one told him to go away until he was done getting his gas.

I'm sorry, but it should be illegal to literally raise gas prices in the middle of the day.  I say once the price is set at station opening, it should have to stay that way until the station closes.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »

I'm sorry, but it should be illegal to literally raise gas prices in the middle of the day.  I say once the price is set at station opening, it should have to stay that way until the station closes.

I totally agree... once they get thier opening price it must remain until the next business day... You can bet you a$$ that if the price goes down they dont go out to change it till the next day.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »
I agree, the Governor's should have the power to invoke price freezes in times of natural disasters.

Offline AmFan

• Love them Pontiac's
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
I think this is called profitering and it is illegal.

tom
1978 Trans Am
Bought April 2001
Restoration: 2001 - 2004
Summer enjoyment ever since

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »

Even better, lock it in on a weekly or monthly basis.  I've watched prices change three times in one day!  This morning, I'd heard prices of gas could double based on Ike hitting Galveston - hope that nothing but speculation.

John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
One can hope that "someone" in Government authority would actually stand up for what he/she knows is wrong and bring the oil companies to the hot seat for intentionally price fixing gas prices and using every excuse in the book as to "why "the increases are neccessary. Problem is, no one in Government cares enough to do the right thing, it's all "go with the flow" in D.C. Sad, is'nt it, I'm sure our forefathers are ashamed of what we've become. Selfish, greedy, and heartless!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:32:19 PM by pointman »
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »

[/quote]

Even better, lock it in on a weekly or monthly basis.  I've watched prices change three times in one day!  This morning, I'd heard prices of gas could double based on Ike hitting Galveston - hope that nothing but speculation.

[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt it the speculators that got all this started six months ago... besides I just heard on the radio from a guy in the KNOW that gas prices should be back to what they were 2/3 days ago by next week. . Again price rise due to the MEDIA and SPECULATORS.. Even the speaker on the radio said " People need to get a grip" .
  This shows how much the media and speculators influence todays market. All this was caused by some "yahoo" making a comment that we COULD see prices rise to $5 because of this strom.... and the public goes frantic... bringing mear speculation to current event.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »
True...I saw a guy not only filling his car the other night but also filling 6 gas cans he had in the cargo area of his SUV  ::) ::)
(probably took them home and buried them  :D :D )
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette