Poll

Should Firebird79_00 stay in High School?

He should finish High School!
49 (98%)
He should quit High School!
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: October 31, 2009, 03:54:41 AM

Author Topic: Staying in school  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Roadrage79

Re: Need help: Might drop out of school
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »
You have been in school for 12 years, and you want to quit 1 year away?  If you quit now, you most likely won't go back. Finishing a car means s#^* in the long run. Finish school.

Offline HI-TECH

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 01:15:24 AM »
14 months at a job isn't that long dude...don't be nieve..Finish now or you probably never will...You know the place you work at can go under...then what? No jobbie job..Keep your azz in school...
80 Trans Am 5.7 LT1 engine w/T56 and 4.10
CC503 cam with 1.6RR
Shorty headers with supper 44's
275/40/17 front and rear on 17x9 snowflakes
78 front bumper cover
Custom gauges

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv154/shoup93/parkinglot.jpg

Offline OzTambo

• Assistant Night Janitor
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 01:35:43 AM »
You need to listen to these guys,,,,

School is not as much about learning book smarts as learning how to communicate and get things completed...

I surfed by last year in school and went to class on Thursday and Friday to find where the parties where..

I ended up redoing the last year and going to collage t ended up with a degree due to an error so i bailed the last year... and that is all i needed to get calls back for interviews in England and Germany now life is good I have a Corvette, Trans Am and a mustang... and a house in California after only working for 8 years...

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 08:14:02 AM »
there is a lot of good advice you are being given on this subject.... I will tell you something I had someone tell me... "this world is a dog eat dog society. someone is always out there to take something away from you. Your car, your house, your wife, even your dignity if given the chance. The only thing they cant take way from you is an education. Get as much of an education as you can to always have that edge on someone."

I never thought much about it until  my early 30s. I lost about everything mentioned above thru a divorce. which happened about the same time I lost my job. You talk about being at a low point in life I was there. beaten in so many ways I was pretty much destitute.  I was lucky to have 2 things going for me... loving and understanding parents  and a education to rebuild myself with...yes its taken me a few years to rebuild but I now have more stability in my life than imaginable when I was your age. Even in these economical hard times I was able to find myself another job (higher position and pay than my old one) and I thank God and a good education for it all.

I have a nephew that never finished school, now hes is finding out that there is more to life than he thought. He has found his back to the wall and figured go into the military to get started... wrong.... they even require you to have at least a GED but really prefer a diploma.

I wish you would stay where you are and finish school, its in your best interest if you do. Life is a long hard journey in its self (any one here can attest to that). A education is priceless.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
www.pacyber.org it is a online school in pa. you should look to see if they have anything like it up where you are. i had a frind who fell two years behind in school (failed 2 years)  he switched to that school and finished highschool a year ahead of his class. you can go to class on your own time so you can work full time. i did it too and took 10 collage credits my seinor year and 2 highschool classes online. the 2 highschool classes i sat down and finished the first week it might be a quicker way to finish school
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline UJSLOST

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

If you have a problem staying in school and toughing that out, then chances are your gonna have a problem stay at a job more than a year or 2 I bet.  Not trying to be a prick seriously dude. This is just a serious subject to me, cause I made that mistake.
[/quote]

ive held a job since i was 13, it was only once a week for 2.5 hours but it worked because i didnt need the money, once i bought my car at age 15 i went and got a job, i have now held that job for 14 months and got promoted twice. im really not worried about holding down a job
[/quote]

Try working 40+ hours a week doing back breaking labor and throw some weekends in there to work also. You are just another number to an employer, most companies dont give a rats a** about their ppl and will cut you out in a heartbeat and not think twice about if you have a family to suppor. It sux, but thats whats coming.  I understand how your feeling man about school, thats why ya gotta listen to us. Your at an age where ya just dont know what direction to go in for the future. But your also at an age where 99% of what you do is gonna most likely effect the rest of your life. And it seems easy to think you can make the right ones sometimes. But you have only lived less than 20 years there alot more challenges your gonna face in adult hood.

Something else I wanted to mention to ya. Say 10 years from now when you grow up. You got a decent job, but like most of us you feel you could do better. Ya find out the company you work for will pay for college, but guess what, you cant take advantage of that free education because you dont have a GED or Diploma. So now your gonna have to go back to GED classes first and waste another year or 2 on that before you can take advantage of the college your employer will pay for.  Gonna suck being say 25, 30, 35, putting in a year or so for GED classes. Your gonna think damn, I should have just finished those last 2 years of high school and I would be going to college instead of 2 years of GED classes.

I wish you lived here, Id make sure your butt went to school!  When I quit I had to have my parents sign a paper saying I could quit. May not be that way everywhere.

By the way, mechanics and bodymen usually dont make a great living.
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s

Offline HI-TECH

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
Don't ever sell yourself short...you have to be like a boyscout....always be prepared...Nothing is  guaranteed...always think of the worst case senario...I have seen too many buisnesses go under...and the above is true...most are just  a number...when a buisness is having a hard time and has to make cuts...the owner is gonna feed his family before an employee's family..thats the facts jack..Then you'll be job hunting...then you'l be filling out an application...get to the part  that says high  school...fill out you didn't graduate....and now...you're gonna have to hope for the best...which doesn't usually pan out..
CC503 cam with 1.6RR
78 front bumper cover
Custom gauges

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
Stay in school ,don't make it harder than it is .  Before you know it will be done

Offline firebird79_00

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
This is actually making a lot more sense for me now to stay in. i want a good job, make a good living. im going tp stick with it the next two years and be done. maybe take a year off after high school then go to college. i truly only have 1 more year as grade 12 i get 7 electives and the only mandatory block is english. thanks for all the help
1977 Firebird Clone
6.6L.....soon

Offline rtpassini

• Help the NOOB!
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
like i said. what happens if your car career falls through. you will have nothing to fall back on. do yourself, and your future family (if you so choose) a favor and complete it.

its going to be trying at times. but just come back to this thread so you have motivation when you need it.
good luck!
1980 Trans Am Bullnose. '67 400
New to domestics and muscle. Trying to sort out the previous owners stupidity

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
This is actually making a lot more sense for me now to stay in. i want a good job, make a good living. im going tp stick with it the next two years and be done. maybe take a year off after high school then go to college. i truly only have 1 more year as grade 12 i get 7 electives and the only mandatory block is english. thanks for all the help

I am glad you are seeing the importance of a education.... Im currently in my early 40s and still have the drive and desire to learn more.... never stop learning. the more you learn the more flexable you are in the career world. my education ranges from  Auto mechanic to diesel technician to industrial electrical technician, robotics tech and programer. I am confident that reguardless to what this world has in store for me i am able to provide for myself and my family.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline HI-TECH

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »
Praise the Lord I think we saved one....AWESOME choice ;D ;D ;D. Glad we could motivate you ;)
CC503 cam with 1.6RR
78 front bumper cover
Custom gauges

Offline justin815

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
good choice on staying

man if i could change anything i've did in the past 2 years i would have stayed in school! i dropped out at 16.(with good grades by the way) i already had my GED before i dropped out, and i planed on going right into trade school for cars. well over 2 years later and im still not in school.(real life has a lot of surprises)....i can tell you that i make more money than most "18 YEAR OLD" HS graduates but i've been working for 2 years. heck on a good week i make more than my dad does, but im a waiter and i have a good personality, but i dont want to do this for the rest of my life.

now the main reason i wish i stayed is that HS school was so much fun. trust me you may not think it now but after 5 months of working you'll wish you stayed. i used to always say that. "i'd rather work a full day and make some money than sit in school and make nothing", but you'll never catch me saying that again. when i was in your shoes 2 years ago i thought i had it all planed out, and i thought i was gonna come out on top doing what i wanted to do, but then life hit me right in the face! looking back i wish i would have listened to everyone that told me i was making a mistake.

just some advice from another kid. take it how you want....milk your parents and have some fun until your 18. then you can start dealing with life, because it IS alot harder than you think.....trust me bud you sounded a lot like i did in your first post

good luck and i hope everything works out with school

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
Great choice on sticking with school, I was lucky and had a 2nd LT. kicking my butt to finish while I was in the Army. I was in the last on duty High School group to graduate while on active duty, I graduated in 1978, less than 3 months later the program was cancelled! Yeah! If I ever see her (2nd LT.) again, she will get a giant bear hug from a grateful ex-soldier! Good luck to you!
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
it was a hard save, we'll have to watch his butt for sure. anyone got the number to his school so we can call there and make sure he was there every day?
Too many birds, not enough food.