Author Topic: need help w/ testing printed circuit on Instrument cluster  (Read 9211 times)

Offline HotBird

Re: need help w/ testing printed circuit on Instrument cluster
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 11:07:23 PM »
Below is a photo of one of the bulbs coming out of the IP cluster.  It has a plug on the end of the wire.  Did someone just put this here for a filler, or does it actually belong here?

Here's a photo of the end of the bulb

I hooked up the stereo and hey, it works!  But STILL NO ILLUMINATION LIGHTS!!!  The "stereo" indicator light on the radio comes on, but no dial light.  No illumination lights on the dash.  Turn signals and highbeam indicator work.  Courtesy lights come on.  I replaced the fuses.  Still I'm lost.  Does anyone have any suggestions??????

Also, when I turn the ignition key forward one click (before actually starting the car) the blower motor comes on low speed.  Again, is it supposed to?  just never noticed before if it did.
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
That's actually a fiber optic connection -- the other end sticks into the ash tray and provides a glimmer of light down there.

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
If you have rear defrost, it may also connect to the rear defrost switch to illuminate the switch at night.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline HotBird

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
Yes, I have rear defrost....maybe it goes there. 

As for the lights, I'm going to test illumination wires.  Could this possibly be a bad head light switch?

Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline HotBird

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Okay.  I have the dash still mostly apart, but everything electrical is connected. 

I tested the headlamp switch unit at all points and I get polarity except on the white wire (which is a ground I thinK).

I tested pin #1 at the IP cluster (illumination lights pin).  NOTHING at pin #1 when the lights are on OR off.  No volts, no polarity.  The fuses test for volts. 

I also checked for power at the illumination wire going into the radio, and got no power.  I have power to the radio from the yellow wire, but not from the gray wire to illuminate the radio dial. 

So now what can I do?  Anyone have a suggestion?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:55:33 PM by HotBird »
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »
With out reading this whole thread, an off the wall guess might be the headlight switch?
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."