Author Topic: 78 Trans Am power windows  (Read 8724 times)

Offline Vgm

78 Trans Am power windows
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
hi, Ive been trying to fix the power windows on my 78 Trans am. I picked up the fuse wiring harness from yearone for $12, the original fuse was had alot of corrosion on it. It fits into the right slot but I cant find where the other end goes. The fuse wire that was in before had two brown ones coming out this one has 2 pink/black about 3 inch long each with terminals at the end of them. I dont see where these terminals go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: 78 Trans Am power windows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
The power window harness plugs into the fuse box in one of the middle slots.  The connector will only fit into the correct slot.  Did you get the entire harness?  I think it might be four separate pieces that connect together.  You also need the relay that attaches to the steering column bracket.

Offline Vgm

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »
I bought the PA36-Power accessory feed wire for 1974-1978 models. This wire runs from the fuse block to the power windows and tachometer. It fits into the right spot on the fuse box but I can't seem to find where this section connects. It has a terminal shaped similar to a J, I can't seem to find a picture though.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »
Without a picture it's hard to tell.  But you should have two ends.  One that goes to the tach.  That's a L shape connector.  There may be a stub piece that connects to the pink connector and then to the power window relay.  Look at the schematic in the service manual.  That will tell you exactly what wiring is required as well as the color of the wires.

This may help:
http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/powerwindows/power.htm
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:54:15 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline Vgm

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
Thank you that did help. I was actually missing this piece as it is. Sadly though they are still not working.

Offline cobray

• You don't want to make me angry!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
Just a thought, I would recommend wiring relays for the windows.
i can't believe the difference ans it is much easier on the switch.
1976 TA SE(clone)
Purchased: Aug 1982
Sat & Rusted away for 20 years
REBORN!!!!: Aug 2007 (after 3 years of restoration)
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/jlittlef/

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
This thread may be of interest ...
http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8769.0
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
I just went through this last weekend with John007's Y88. 

Disconnect the switch from the console.  Inspect the wires.  If they aren't burned.  Check for power at the relay.  Use the schematic in the service manual to figure out the wire colors.  If you're not getting power out of the relay you've got to replace that relay.  Also, that relay needs to be connected to the steering column bracket or otherwise grounded with a jumper.  If the switch isn't grounded, you won't get power to the switch.

Measure the voltage with the key on.  Let us know the color of wire and the voltage.

John007's was easy.  The drivers window wouldn't go down.  The brown wire was pulled out at the connector to the switch.  Fixed it in a few minutes.

Offline cobray

• You don't want to make me angry!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »
This thread may be of interest ...
http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8769.0

Yes that is like how I did it but I did not use seperate power, not needed.  I used the power from the switch source.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:52:06 PM by cobray »
1976 TA SE(clone)
Purchased: Aug 1982
Sat & Rusted away for 20 years
REBORN!!!!: Aug 2007 (after 3 years of restoration)
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/jlittlef/

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »
It's that orange wire with a black stripe that provides power to the windows.  The pink wire powers the relay.

So, he needs to make sure he's getting power on the orange wire as well as power to the relay.  That's why he needs to write down the color of wire in the relay connector and indicate the voltage. 

Offline Vgm

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »
Okay all my connections are there, however they do have that blue corrosion stuff on the relays and to the fusebox. I also replaced the circuit breaker. I'm going out to see if I can get an readings on a voltmeter now. But as per the corrosion do I scrape it off or is there another, better way to remove most if not all of it?

Offline Vgm

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
I can't get a reading going to the relay with my voltmeter but honestly I'm not great with one so I guess its possible I am doing it wrong. I did follow the pink and black wire going into thhe relay and it goes to my parking brake for some reason and stops the and seems stuck. is it suppose to be there? if not where does the pink with black stripe go?

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
The pink wire with the black stripe originates at the mid fuse box connector....then one goes to the tach and the other goes to the relay.  Does your tach work?  Are you getting power on the orange wire at the relay with the key on....always measure with the key on.  Put the red lead of the volt meter at the pink wire of the relay....the black wire goes to ground.  Really, it's harder to work a wrench.  The problem people have with electricity is they can't see it.

Offline Vgm

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
Okay well I think I found my problem my pink and black wire doesnt make it to the fusebox it seems to be lodged in the parking brake mechanism, it goes into a gap in the top between the two pieces of metal and I cant seem to get it out. I'll keep trying to but thank you very much for all of your help.

Offline Vgm

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
I cant seem to find the problem so I have decided to rewire most if not all of the system however the screw holding the relay for the powerwindows in place is stripped and i can't get it out can someone tell me what the relay number is or what to replace it with? and hopefully if it will use the stock harness or not. Thank you very much.