Author Topic: NBA Lock Out  (Read 7356 times)

Offline snap_point

NBA Lock Out
« on: November 03, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »
Hey All,

Im sure there are some Basketball fans out there.

What the latest on the lock out, were are getting mixed report downunder, one day is off then there talking then there close to a resolution then there not!

Can you see an end to this soon...... I need my Basketball back!
Andrew

**1978 Y88 Trans Am WS6**
**1966 GTO Tri Power 4 Speed**

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: NBA Lock Out
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:21 AM »
Seems just as wishy-washy as the NFL negotiations were.

Personally - it's a bunch of overpaid cry babies on both sides and I hope they cancel the season. Nothing like hearing a millionaire won't make another 100k or so and because of that he's going to be destitute. I guess insurance is expensive on Ferrari's afterall.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
I dont't think we are going to see basketball this year.  And yes, they are a big bunch of rich cry babies.

Offline banditalex

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »
I hope we do see basketball, im a huge fan. And if we dont have a season, alot of people suffer, for example, all the people who maintain the arena's, work in them, to the concessions, do the merchandise. So if there is no season this year, there will be a ton of people with out a job.
1979 Black and Gold father son project.

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
Ditto that.

Offline snap_point

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I think this has gone one for long enough now. Now they are starting to effect the little people as you say.

There is not point to cut your nose off to spite you face and that is what is happening now!

Get your s#^* together everyone and work it out.
Andrew

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
I hope we do see basketball, im a huge fan. And if we dont have a season, alot of people suffer, for example, all the people who maintain the arena's, work in them, to the concessions, do the merchandise. So if there is no season this year, there will be a ton of people with out a job.
well said

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:10 AM »
I am a fan of basketball but all this we are not playing now we are is BS. I think they should just say fine no games for the yr and as far as the little people rent out the areans for car shows or motorcross or monster trucks, something like that so then the little people still have work. Just my 2 cents.
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline banditalex

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »
I am a fan of basketball but all this we are not playing now we are is BS. I think they should just say fine no games for the yr and as far as the little people rent out the areans for car shows or motorcross or monster trucks, something like that so then the little people still have work. Just my 2 cents.
yeah they stil would have work, but not nearly as much as they would if the NBA was still around, not trying to argue, just my 2 cents as well

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
I hear ya wouldn't be as much work but still work at least.
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline rcombs

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
One of my best friends is the director of player personnel for one of the NBA teams, discussed the entire situation with him just a couple of days ago, bottom line the NBA is broken in terms of salary structure (owner's fault?)....only a handful of teams have made any money over the course of the last few years and it isn't going to get any better in terms of fan interest and attendance given the current economy and overall disparity among teams.  Movement will not be made until the players are not getting paychecks and the stadiums/coliseums/gyms sit empty for an extended period of time.  Yes, some will go overseas and play, the NBA will require years to recover, but it was on a downward spiral as is.  Changes need to be made.....too bad both sides can't come up with a compromise for the long term improvement of the league and game.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
After watching football and then trying to watch a basketball game it is just too much for me. I know the football players are wearing some protection but they really smash into each other and they pop right back up. Then watching a 7ft tall guy get bumped in the NBA and he goes flying back 15 feet and needs help getting up just makes me not take it serious. I know it is a sport and maybe I am not being completely realistic considering when I was doing my MMA training I was actually getting hit for 2 hours and still asking for more but as Brian C said...they are cry babies. Always wanting a foul called and that slows the game down(I know thats a strategy) but I just can not take it serious anymore. That's just the way I look at it. After NFL season I will watch a few games but when I can channel surf and see guys beating each other and still go at it then watch these over paid babies throw an elbow or shoulder and they act like they were shot in the face is like a soap opera for me. I say end the season,let them all go back to partying and driving their exotic sports cars and try again next season.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline snap_point

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:16:47 AM »
Justin you are comparing apples and oranges mate. I see what your saying but to compare basketball and NFL is un fair as they are completely different in every facet of the game.

I could make an argument that NFL is slow with them stopping after every play for extended periods to re set their attack of change the players that are on the field.

If you want to watch biff and collisions give Rugby union a go mate, no padding, no helmets and some of the tackles are truly bone bruising. I can recommend this sport for you, its not huge in the US but you do have a national team that just took part in the World cup.

Check out the below clip and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpdiROmwblY&feature=related
Andrew

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
Have actually watched Rugby with the wife on one of the alternative sports channels. Not so sure on the rules but its definitely action packed. Not sure how many leagues there are in the US that could fill b-ball arenas to fill the schedule in. But there are other sports out there like Arena Football, Lacrosse, etc that can fill the niche. And who's to say you couldn't pull off some auto shows? I know the guys in Buffalo put together a show in a couple months in the Convention Center and had major builders onsite. Troy Trepanier (sp?) was one who was in Buffalo last year so I know it can be done.

But back to topic...basketball should be cancelled at this point. It's a he said / they said thing being waged in the press instead of the bargaining table. Until the owners start feeling the pinch of lost income, I doubt much will happen. Besides, in my opinion, basketball ranks up there with Tennis (hey, the ball got hit to the other side of the court and now its back again), golf (hey the ball got hit across the green), and baseball (hey the ball....you get the drift). All, in my opinion, are mind numbing sports to watch. Nothing like watching a ball get batted from one side of the screen to the other to kill brain cells. Throw in an element of danger and I'm sure I'd be interested - swordsmen, maces, arrows, etc - anything to spice up the sport.

Hockey, Lacrosse, Football, Soccer - all offer something exciting to watch.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline banditalex

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
football(hey lets throw a ball to eachother) hockey(lets just get this puck in a net) soccer(lets kick a ball in a net) lacrosse(lets get the ball in the net) kinda the same thing you just said about basketball,,,,,lol