Author Topic: Dang Boats!  (Read 2728 times)

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
Dang Boats!
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »
I have a well-used 18 ft runabout with a GM 4.3L V6.  I took it out exactly once this year due to being busy and to the fact that serious drought left local lake levels so low that many boat ramps were closed (because the ramp was no longer in the water). 

Well... we got our first real freeze of the season last night.  That prompted me into doing what has become an annual tradition.  Rushing to drain the water out of the engine and manifolds of the engine.  Lots of fun as the temp was about 35 degrees and I was standing on my head with a flashlight in my mouth and icy water running into my arm pit (maybe exaggerating slightly  ;)).

I'm starting to think the old saying about the "two happiest days in a boat owners life" is true.
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Dang Boats!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »
And that's why I let a marina winterize it along with shrink wrap for the season. Best $399 I spent this year. ;)

Come spring time, they get the joy of an oil change, plugs (been 7 years), gas & water filters (been 7 years), check fuel lines, and checking the baffles. Certain things are worth having someone else deal with. Although I am getting better at putting the drain plugs back in during spring....my arms and chest weren't nearly as bruised as they normally are.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
I like the marina idea....  mine is on a trailer as I go to several different lakes.  Winter is short around here so my "winterizing" process is pretty much drain the water and put Stabil in the gas.  In fact I did not even refill the tank yet, but probably will... not good to have room in the tank for water vapor so I hear.

Did I understand you right.... seven years between oil changes/plugs/filters?  That's getting your moneys worth!

I'll do mine in a few months... though it would be better to change the oil before winter...

As I said minimal boating this year so the oil has only a few hours on it...

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
You could always get a sailboat and not have to deal with any engine upkeep or troubles ;D

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »
BOAT =  a hole in the water that you pour money into!
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »
True that...  we have had a lot of fun with it though...

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Would like to try a sailboat one day...

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I used to hang out on the lake, great times! you could prob say the same thing about TA's!
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline banditalex

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:25 AM »
Ive never owned a sail boat, but I've gone out on one  a few times, its awesome.
1979 Black and Gold father son project.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »
I like the marina idea....  mine is on a trailer as I go to several different lakes.  Winter is short around here so my "winterizing" process is pretty much drain the water and put Stabil in the gas.  In fact I did not even refill the tank yet, but probably will... not good to have room in the tank for water vapor so I hear.

Did I understand you right.... seven years between oil changes/plugs/filters?  That's getting your moneys worth!

I'll do mine in a few months... though it would be better to change the oil before winter...

As I said minimal boating this year so the oil has only a few hours on it...

Nope...Oil changes & oil filter every spring.

Gas filter, water filter, and plugs are original to the boat - will be 7 years in April. Probably have under 100 hours on it but its time I'm sure. I do have the marina check it out each spring when it's in for its oil change to make sure everything else is up to snuff. Right about the same time I have the trailer inspected - surge brakes on 2nd axle and no auto shop will touch it with a boat on the trailer. Which reminds me its probably time to have the bearings topped off with grease again as well. That was done recently as I check everything over before I trailer the boat to the lake ;)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline stwrangler

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP82695323.htm
I got this about 10 years ago, it works great, I use 4 gal of antifreeze each year.
need automotives anonymous but I'm not looking for it.

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »
True that...  we have had a lot of fun with it though...

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Would like to try a sailboat one day...

If you're ever in Michigan I'd be happy to show that they're all about, but depending on what type of lakes you go out on you might be limited.

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
How does that flushing kit function?  I don't quite get it.... Does it draw antifreeze in through "ear muffs" you put on the out drive?

As for sailing... there is quite a bit of sailboating (except in times of extreme drought - like now) on Lake Travis near me.  Went out with a friend a couple of times years ago.  It was fun.... but I was a passenger....  Actually learning to sail would be very cool.....

Guess in Michigan ya got like 10,000 lakes to choose from right?  ;)

Offline stwrangler

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
it has a hose input and you use ear muffs on the drive ( I put a bungee around muffs for a tight seal ). bring the motor up to temp on the water then turn the knob to the antifreeze and let the motor run until antifreeze is gone , then turn the motor off and your done. I've used it for the last 10 years and never had a problem.
need automotives anonymous but I'm not looking for it.