Author Topic: sub boxes for your trunk  (Read 16110 times)

Offline skisix38off

sub boxes for your trunk
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
Can those that have made and installed their own sub boxes please post some pictures and go through how you got it all crammed in there?

I ordered my stereo stuff last week and so I will now need to start making my sub box for the trunk.  I have a Kicker 10" that goes in the box, I'm also thinking that I am going to make the box house/mount the Kicker 6x9's to fire through the holes in the rear package tray.  My thoughts are to have my box fit over the hump in the trunk floor and span the space between the wheel well and extend back to where the jack goes...  Carpet it, mount my amp to it and it should look as nice as anything else I can think of...

Anyway, please post pictures if you have them as I would love to see what's been done and successful before!

Greg
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
Re: sub boxes for your trunk
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
I hope this picture helps you out.  I am not sure whose it is but he is on this site and I hope he chimes in.

MLC_003631

I love the way it turned out.  Very nice and clean!

Here is another one I thought looked very nice.

DSC02615
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:39:11 PM by SoonerTA »

Offline 76ta4spd

• Yearning to see the open road!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »
WOW! I like that. It is nice and clean. I wonder what the sound quality is? I have two 12s that I am trying to figure out how to get in the trunk. I know how I can get them in there but wonder about getting the right airspace for the boxes. I don't plan on having much in my trunk as far as cargo anyway, other than emergency stuff.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »
Looks nice.  When I purchased my car this summer it had a flat felt board across the back with two amps and an equalizer on it while containing two subs driving into the back seat.  It was all oldschool stuff but whoever did the installation did a very professional job.  I threw it all away because it was junk.

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!   I am thinking about making the box fill in the space under the rear package tray and then looking like a wall from the trunk.  I've been told to have the sub fire into the trunk( in contrast to having it fire directly into the back seat).  So, on this false wall I'll have a 10" sub and the Kicker amp.  That should leave a little room for other stuff to go along for the ride.

I was kind of hoping someone had made a box like I'm describing and would send me the plans....  No worries, I forge ahead and make my own plans.

Greg
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!   I am thinking about making the box fill in the space under the rear package tray and then looking like a wall from the trunk.  I've been told to have the sub fire into the trunk( in contrast to having it fire directly into the back seat).  So, on this false wall I'll have a 10" sub and the Kicker amp.  That should leave a little room for other stuff to go along for the ride.
Greg
Thats exactly how mine is , and I dont have any pics. Besides, all you would see is the wall. I also finished the trunk floor in the same farbric as the box/wall.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
Has anyone seen the package tray that yearone sells?  I've thought about just having one sub in the middle of the deck but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to build a proper enclosure to drop down below the deck or even if one would fit.  Is that center section even designed for a sub?

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:51:14 AM »
What I was going to do is install a bass tube in the trunk but it took up too much space.

For those with amps/subs in your trunk my only question is this: Where do you plan on putting your spare tire and tools?

I refuse to travel without either of those.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
Yeah. Where do you put the tools and spare tire. T-Tops too?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
Ttops can sit behind the rear seats on the floor, right?
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:11:54 PM »
What spare tire setup is everyone running?  Isn't the original setup very valuable and can't be reused once used the first time?  I have the original setup for my car but I don't think that I would ever want to use it because the space saver isn't being reproduced to my knowledge.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »
Stock tire here. A Sears Craftsman trolley jack as the Y88 didn't come with a bumper jack and I have no plans on ever risking it.

Plenty of room for a full sized spare if you use a 7" rim and a stock tire size.

I personally don't like relying on someone to bring the right spare tire out. I'd rather do it myself - personal preference.

T-tops usually go on the back seat when I'm showing the car or driving it somewhere. I do need to track down storage bags for mine at some point. Rest of the interior getting finished is a higher priority for me though.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
I have more than enough room for tools, cooler and both of my chairs. I dont have a spare tire, but DO have AAA.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Subs and a new amp will be taking up my trunk but I don't have a spare tire. I also have AAA and I never really stray too far from home with the T/A
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »
I dont have a spare tire, but DO have AAA.

We know about those weekly meetings, but what is that under your shirt then? ??? ??? ???

(J/K -- couldn't pass that one up... ;) )