Author Topic: Anyone else having trouble getting ammunition?  (Read 10943 times)

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Anyone else having trouble getting ammunition?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
My boss is in Florida now- he called me a while ago.  ( i had him searching for ammo down there).   He can't find any 223, 9mm, 45 ACP, etc... there either.  I can get all the .22 LR I want here, Harold, as well as shotgun shells.  There are no .357/.38, 44 Mag, 45LC, .243 etc... in any shop around here.  Most appears to be from a "run" on ammo when a few of the more-common military/commercial rounds started getting bought up after the election, then the other rounds started disappearing from the shelves too in a snowball effect.

Offline stimpy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:23:09 PM »
I am glad I can reload stuff and have a good size supply of dry powder ,primers , brass and lead, alot of used brass is coming back from overseas but its getting smelted , and having to resize once shot .223 isn't worth the effort to me as its ussually nato stuff and the cases are stretched and thin at the base , I had a bunch of Nato 7.62 brass ( winny LC) that the inside was super thin near the base almost like it was over powdered . Right Now I am having a hard time trying to locate  new brass cases 8 mm in winchester  or S&B . 

Offline Rebel 5150

• Flagler County, Florida -Viewer Discretion Advised
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
My boss is in Florida now- he called me a while ago.  ( i had him searching for ammo down there).   He can't find any 223, 9mm, 45 ACP, etc... there either.  I can get all the .22 LR I want here, Harold, as well as shotgun shells.  There are no .357/.38, 44 Mag, 45LC, .243 etc... in any shop around here.  Most appears to be from a "run" on ammo when a few of the more-common military/commercial rounds started getting bought up after the election, then the other rounds started disappearing from the shelves too in a snowball effect.

I actually picked up the last two 100 round boxes of 22LR from WalMart today.  They were still plenty thin on most stuff, but the case wasn't completely empty (save for the shotgun shells) like it was last week, they even had some .308 there as well.
Harold - Pure Trans Am Nut

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
And there are those who claim that the old laws of "supply and demand" are irretrievably broken and no longer work... ;)

Ammunition maker plans to rehire many laid-off workers

By Elaine Williams of the Tribune

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lewiston ammunition maker ATK is hiring a "good number" of the employees it laid off just months ago when it cut 70 to 80 hourly and salaried employees.

ATK, the third-largest manufacturer in the region, had about 850 employees remaining after it did the downsizing in January.

A spokeswoman for the company, Amanda Covington in Salt Lake City, declined to specify Wednesday how many employees will return to the plant. "We'll continue to work through that."

"It is a good news story," Covington said. "ATK is reaching out to employees who are already trained and giving them a chance to come back to work. ... They're high-quality individuals and we're excited to offer them the opportunity."

ATK eliminated their positions early in the year after the company successfully reduced a backlog of orders for sport and law enforcement ammunition, a project it had been working on since 2006.

Now the need for the hires comes from a "very strong demand" for ATK's products, Covington said. She referred additional questions about why its goods are selling so well to the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

The Newtown, Conn.-based organization didn't return a call on Wednesday. But it had an Associated Press story on its Web site about how the possibility of a new ban by the Obama administration on some semi-automatic weapons has prompted some gun owners to stockpile so much ammunition manufacturers can't meet demand.

"We have heard from all across the country that there is a tremendous shortage of ammunition," said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. "We've heard this from the manufacturers, that their customers are calling them trying to get supplies for inventory, and that the manufacturers are going full-bore."

Keane's foundation is a trade organization representing firearms and ammunition producers, including ATK, as well as retail gun shops.

"Semiautomatic rifles are selling at an incredibly brisk pace," said Keane, who added many makers of semiautomatic rifles and pistols are so overwhelmed they already have commitments from buyers to purchase this year's entire production.

The present ammunition shortage followed the growth in gun sales, he said. While the current shortage includes cartridges for popular semiautomatic rifles and pistols covered by the Clinton-era weapons ban, it also reaches to other varieties including common revolver cartridges and the .22-caliber rimfire cartridges used for hunting or target shooting ATK makes in Lewiston, according to the AP story.

Sales in the ATK segment to which its Lewiston operations belong rose 15 percent to $438 million in the three months ending Dec. 28, compared to $381 million in the prior-year quarter, according to a ATK earnings report. The performance was due in part to growth in commercial ammunition, which is produced in Lewiston.

Offline shadowrider

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:04:25 PM »
Big shortage of ammo here in southern ohio also, shelves are empty, no 9mm, 38, 357, 44, etc, gun dealers & walmart don't have any thing & do not know when they will get any. gun dealers told me there suppliers do not have any to ship out.  It is like this in all the county's around me also. As I have been to several stores & looked,  can still get some shotgun ammo though, but they are getting low on it also.  I suggest every body cut down on the range practice & save what I have, Democracts have a bill they are trying to pass into law to put a big tax on ammo & make you give your ID & have every purchase recorded, also they are wanting  all new ammo to have tracers in each round to identify it, & to make everybody turn there old ammo in as it will be illegale to own it,  if this ever makes it into law, there will be big time trouble coming, It is a bad government that fears its citizens so much they feel the need to disarm us.

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 12:03:08 AM »
I've noticed for a few months that the larger caliber ammo (9mm, .40, .45, and most rifle rounds) were really scarce. .22LR is plentiful as well as shotgun shells. Last time I went ammo shopping (last week) the selves were slowly starting to fill up but the .22LR and shotgun were thinning out. .22WMR almost gone. Luckily I have around 4,000 round of .22LR, so I'm ok for a while, though I will buy more soon.
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »
i never noticed i haven bought bullets in over a year an i was carded for a box of 22 shells to see how old i was but they could care less a few days later when i bought a box of 30-30 and 30-06 ???
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
i never noticed i haven bought bullets in over a year an i was carded for a box of 22 shells to see how old i was but they could care less a few days later when i bought a box of 30-30 and 30-06 ???

That's because .22's are commonly used in handguns too, and .30-30/.30-06 are considered rifle cartridges.

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
ok i may stop at wallmart later today to look at the shell selection

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »
You Guy's are scaring the s#^* out of me . Are we expecting WWIII right around the corner or what ? Crap ,it's a pain in the butt just getting a gun here in Canada ,never mind ammo .
I think I am going to go and get a paint ball gun though . Better than nothing I guess lol . I here they hurt like hell ?
I figure if someone is coming threw the door in the middle of the night at least a Guy could smoke him with a barrage of paint balls . That way the cops could ID him easier to lol
I know it makes no sense bringing a knife to a gun fight ,but I think it's gotta be better than nothing

Offline Rebel 5150

• Flagler County, Florida -Viewer Discretion Advised
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
Harold - Pure Trans Am Nut

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline HotBird

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
I'm not a gun guy, but everyone I work with hunts and they all say the stores and shops here in Delaware have been out for a while.  As soon as they get ammo in, it's sold.  They've been talking about that since the beginning of the year.
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
i stoped at wall mart last night to get something and walked by ammo and they had rifle shells 30-30, 30-06 stuff like that and some 22 and and some shot gun sheels

Offline Mwieczorek

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
This thread makes me want to go downstairs and check on my ammo fort.

I've been stocking up on ammo whenever I could for a couple of years now.  My wife will sometimes ask, "how many rounds of (insert caliber) do you have now?"  I usually try to reply with "not enough".  I think she would freak if she knew the real totals...

;D

Matt
Doing what the factory didn't is the essence of hot-rodding.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »
You'll be OK as long as she doesn't have to move any of it.  If she does, then the trouble will start, because of how heavy that stuff is.  Women must think that a cartridge is like lipstick because it's about the same size, so they can't feature it weighing that much. :-\