Author Topic: A selling suggestion  (Read 7615 times)

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
A selling suggestion
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:23 AM »
Just a suggestion,

Instead of allowing people to come on here, join and then post something for sale instantly, how about putting a minimum post count, before you can, this would stop people joining to just to advertise what theyre tryig to sell on Fleabay and then never returning.

That way then only true members would remain.

It wouldnt have to be a high no, just a small deterent.

we have as of today 4539 members and i wonder how many have only posted once?  :)
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Re: A selling suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30:59 AM »
yes good idea.   there is a few forums out there like that, with a 10 or more posts needed.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
I don't know, I see your point but then again, I like to see the ads, especially if I'm looking, regardless of whether they are "count qualified".  I can see it both ways.
Rich

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:21 AM »
On a few other forums I'm on they all have a 10 post requirement.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »
I just think it would save some spam and the sort of people that have a car but " arent into them " ie motor traders etc etc, its a free advert for them with a huge target audience .

OR if they dont meet the minimum post count, maybe levvy a charge Brett ?
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:05 PM »
I'd say the biggest point on this is to protect potential buyers.

I myself would be more likely to send money for a part to a member that has introduced themselves, been here awhile, somewhat proven their character, and contributed for awhile than someone who shows up with no other intent than to sell...sorry but I don't feel too comfortable sending money out otherwise (since there is no buyer protection here other than trust).

Just my .02  ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
I agree^^^^^^^ That's why I come here first even if its a little more but usually everyone just wants to sell and help out. Good point
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
I guess I am torn on this one.  My thoughts would be to let it as is.  Sometimes people have stuff to sell.  Maybe a friend who doesn't know about computers wants to sell something and is helping him out, maybe his parents left him a car and he wants to sell it.  So you maybe could come across some good deals that way or find something that you are needing and that is all the guy has or wants to do here.  Yes, you do have to be careful on any purchase over the Internet like Ebay or even here on the Forums.  Heck, we have had some people here for a while and then goes to sell stuff and is never heard from again and the people get taken.  So if a guy is new or even has been here for a while, you still have to be careful.  I mean if you have them have to have 10 posts (or some number) before they can post stuff for sale.. then what about the people who come on here, post one question and then never come back again?  Do we also tell them they have to make 10 posts (or some number) before they can ask a question?  There are 1,768 members who joined here who have never made a single post ever.  There are 550 members who have only posted once. Do we delete those people? I know I went through about a month ago and deleted about 500 members that joined, but never activated their account or even signed back on ever. But some of these other people who have never posted just browse the forum for information and never ask a question or anything.  But some sections of the forum you have to a be a member in order to view them.  So some people joined so they could read stuff, but never care to post.  That is their choice to do so.  So as far as requireing a certain numbers of posts to be able to sell something, I don't know if that would be good.  Like I said earlier, you have to be careful on any purchase over the Internet anywhere.  Remember the one business who sold a bunch of stuff and never sent anyone their products? (not to mention any names, but I am sure some of you remember)

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:02 PM »
.. then what about the people who come on here, post one question and then never come back again?  Do we also tell them they have to make 10 posts (or some number) before they can ask a question? 

I think they should have to ask the question 10 times before we are obligated to answer  :D ;)
(j/k)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:45 PM »
Oh my gosh. That just made me do a belly laugh.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »
ya your right . there is a OFB member here that only has like 8 posts.  and I think he's been here since 95
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
'95 ??

Do you mean '05?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:17 PM »
sorry just looked him up  2007-04-15   with 12 posts. 
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Jolley_Man666

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »
With a post count it's also possible that people would make useless posts like just putting a letter or a number on 10 topics but most people are too lazy to do that but a few might do it
1979 Heritage Brown T/A- 455 Olds Rocket

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »
I'd say the biggest point on this is to protect potential buyers.

I myself would be more likely to send money for a part to a member that has introduced themselves, been here awhile, somewhat proven their character, and contributed for awhile than someone who shows up with no other intent than to sell...sorry but I don't feel too comfortable sending money out otherwise (since there is no buyer protection here other than trust).

Just my .02  ;)

X2 Agree

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower