Author Topic: car audio  (Read 11340 times)

Offline Klatt87

car audio
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:28:32 PM »
can i go to a best buy and have them install any head unit and have them throw in 2 6x9 speakers for the back? is there a certain brand or unit that will hook up to my car?

Offline Eagle 1

car audio
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »
6 X 9 Pioneer speakers will fit in your car, but I am not sure what kind of head unit you are looking for.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline Klatt87

car audio
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »
thats the only 2 speakers in the car correct

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
car audio
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:13:51 PM »
well there is a front one in the grill opening in the dash......i doubt theyd even touch that one....just because its hard to get to with everything in place...but i dont know how well they go into installations...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
car audio
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:45:18 PM »
Yes, you can have a stereo place install a stereo for you.  Just about any stereo will fit since your dash has been cut.  However, you need to do a few things first....

They will want to pull power directly from the battery so you need to figure out where they can run the wire (it will be a thick one).  If you don't tell them, they will figure it out themselves and you might not like their solution.  My daughter's T/A had a radio added by a stereo place and they removed one of the toe pan bolts and used the hole for the wire access.  Not the best solution.

Also, you should pull all your A/C ducts out yourself.  They may be in the way of the installer and they will break them out because they don't know where the screws are and don't have time to muck around.  I would also open up the wiring tray under the passenger door sill and remove the back seat so they can run the wires to the rear deck through the trunk.

Classic sells a two speaker unit that fits under the front dash.  With the two speakers in the back and the two in the front.....what are your plans for the speakers in the doors?

If you decide to install the front speakers, you will need to remove the dash bezel, center air deflector and the A?C duct behind it.  Then there is one screw holding the old speaker in....just pull it out.

Offline Klatt87

car audio
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:47:30 PM »
there is already wires running from the trunk to the battery (theres one thick purple one from battery to trunk) and like a whole bunch more wires in the trunk. We have new door panels coming, getting rid of those crappy looking panels with speakers cut into them. The speaker that is in the front hopefully is already hooked up and they dont have to mess with it, i just wanted to good sounding speakers in the back with a nice head unit, no subs or anything because i hate rap music

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
car audio
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »
The speaker in the front is probably rotted out.  It's best to replace it with a dual.  The stereo place can run the wire from the battery through the hole they are using for the old stereo wire.  They will want to replace all the wires though.

Glad you're getting rid of those door panels.  I usually hate speakers in the doors but your's don't look bad.

Offline Klatt87

car audio
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:06:04 PM »
yeah i probally should replace it so to get to it i need to take off the dash and its behind that? what dimension is it?

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
car audio
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:02:58 AM »
You only take off the dash bezel, not the dash.  That speaker is a ten inch speaker if I recall correctly.  The replacement duals I believe are four inch each.  Check the classic catalog.

Offline dazeakamike

car audio
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 12:58:58 AM »
as far as the audio shop deal.. most are insured and will be pay for any damage.

I do work for one and to be honest, would just grab power from the wiring that is already there. or run constant off the cig lighter... or the ign harness.

The speaker under the top of the dash is a 4x10.

I would be sure to tell them that in order to get out the speedo cluster... the steering colum has to be loosened(2 nuts).

When finding out who can do this for you... i would look for a shop that tries to talk you into not cutting your dash !!! They are the ones i would want to work on my car because that means that they have a love for these cars and probley will do a good job.
Thats cute, where did they hide the other 4 cylinders !?

4 Bangers only belong on bikes !

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
car audio
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:04:59 PM »
If they're going to grab power from the harness (which they won't do around here because the new radios use more power) use the original wires.  There should be three wires that powered an original radio.  Yellow for power to the radio, gray for power for illumination, and black for ground.  They are part of the harness.  If the harness isn't cut, there is a black connector, if the harness has been cut, the wires are there you just need to find them.

Offline dazeakamike

car audio
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
new radios need 3 power connections.... acc or ign, constant and ground.
Thats cute, where did they hide the other 4 cylinders !?

4 Bangers only belong on bikes !

Offline Klatt87

car audio
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »
im pretty sure that it has all the wires, there was a stereo in it before, but i dont know if i should just buy a cd deck and 2 6x9 speakers and try to install it myself... ive never done it but i probally beable to figure it out.. just not sure how the speakers hook up to the cd player, i could just run the wires through the back seats under the chrome body by fisher panels and then where? heres a pic i dunno if u can tell what it is..

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
car audio
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:59:40 AM »
Install it yourself.  That way you won't have someone cutting up your car.  To run the speaker wires to the rear, just pull the doorsill on the passenger side, pull the cover off over the wire tray underneath.  That's where you can run the wires.  You need to run the wires behind the front kick panel....but you'll figure that out.  Then pull the rear passenger seat and, from the trunk, you'll see an access hole....run the wire through there.  It's really easy.  The 6X9 speakers install in the holes in the rear deck.  You can buy original metal covers that fit over the rear deck and the speakers will connet to those.  You'll have a set up that looks original from the rear window.  You do need to pull your A/C ducts to gain the room to wire the wires, get the radio, install new center speakers, etc.

I usually start running the speaker wires from the trunk, then to the front.

If you decide to do it yourself, this forum will answer all your questions.

Offline Klatt87

car audio
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »
alrite i dont understand one thing im sure my dad knows but where are the ac ducts? i take off what bezels?