Author Topic: you guys want to see a classic thats not a TA?  (Read 10193 times)

Offline mrpontiac80

you guys want to see a classic thats not a TA?
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:05:06 PM »
Hey all,     Ive been working on a 57 chevy 2 door hard top pro street car for a customer.   I have held off on pics because I was not sure if you guys would care.   Want to see it? I'll post it up if you want but be warned there are lots of pics.  mean while here is a teaser..

Michael Russell

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: you guys want to see a classic thats not a TA?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 01:06:31 PM »
Oh boy that's nice, yes, yes, post pics.  I love all hotrods!
Rich

Offline Solar78

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
Thats sweet.....
I love hotrods.....

Those door panels are really cool too.... nice work!

"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »
Wow, that's beautiful. Hey, when I get that far, can I have you do my interior?
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
I'll have to get details on the engine and etc, but it is a sweet car.  The owner's name is Mark and is a friend of a friend.  I hang out with him at my annual springfield MO car show trip. Mark has had this car since he was in high school and he is now in his 30s.  He works at a body shop and it shows.  The paint and etc is going on several years old and needs a little touch up here and there, but everything he installs on the car is either new or very nice.  Hence the reson he has also been working on it since he was in high school.  It is a semi pro street job with small tubs and etc.  I even had the peasure of riding in the car as it was photographed and used in HotRod Magazine a feew years back on a pro street cruise!

Anyway..  I Kinda have free reign on the interior with the exception of fabric.  We are going to use a vinyl that is comparable to glove leather and is VERY nice stuff.  It is called Rave.  The whole interior will be black and Graphite Black.

Michael Russell

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »

Michael Russell

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
I guess I will just post a ton of pics... and explain later.

Michael Russell

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
Very nice!
You do fantastic work!
I love it!

George  8)

Offline Solar78

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »
Raise that blower up through the hood! Thats a really sweet looking car.....

Dad had a few 57 Nomads when I was a kid....love those cars

Really like the additional chrome you put on the lower trunk...looks sharp!
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 01:23:29 PM »

Michael Russell

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »
Last set for this morning and you guys will be all caught up.  Then I can post as I go. 

Well my goal is to have this car done by the end of this week.  So I made good progress today on the trunk.   Mark decided he wanted all the amps and such to be hidden, so I made panels to box everything in.  The rear of the trunk ( behind the rear seat area) is a narrow area located between the wheel tubs.   From what I understand, Mark has a bass speaker that looks like a Nos bottle.  He painted it up and applied the lables to look like the real deal and it is going to be located in the boxed in area.  I think he intends to encase it with clear plexiglass later.. so thats what the boxed area is for

The trunk lid will be covered in the same material and as of tonight, I plan on sculpting the old Chevrolet script that looks like the emblem on the trunk lid.. and also a bow tie.  Hopefully tomorrow I can post up a finished pic of that too.

Michael Russell

Offline Solar78

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »
Ok please stop.... I am getting very jealous!!!!

Awesome...really cool work. Love the seats and the Chevy logo on the decklid.... So nice.....

I wish I had 1% of the skills of you guys.... Geeeeeze!!! Amazing...

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 02:49:02 PM »
Thats great work, well done.
As for the car, im sorry guys but im a hot rodder first and a bird lover 2nd, rods are the only thing that would make me get rid of the Bird...........

A great post and great pics, its a real insight into how this is done, thankyou.
Is recovering seats a tricky job?
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline LTD

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »
That's one beautiful car!  I'm helping someone restore a '50 Ford pickup right now.  Cars from that era are heavy!  Keep up the good work on that beauty!!! ;)

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 01:45:33 AM »

A great post and great pics, its a real insight into how this is done, thankyou.
Is recovering seats a tricky job?

Thank you guys.    As for recovering seats..  well I think it is like any job.  The more you do it the easier it gets.   Practice makes perfect I guess, although I am far from perfect!!!   The hardest part for me is coming up with a design that I like.  Once thats done though, its jsut fitting the cover untill it looks good.  The sewing part takes a little bit of practice too though.

So today I got the trunk lid done and also a few panels on the inside ready to cover.   I did the package tray also, but really did not like the way it turned out, so I am gonna try a differant route later.  I then started on the rear seats.  Here is the trunk lid and the rear area inside with the seats out..   By the way, those tubs barely allow for the meaty tires they hide :shock:

Michael Russell