Author Topic: Snow in West Texas  (Read 4800 times)

Offline dblhh

Snow in West Texas
« on: January 23, 2007, 06:39:42 PM »
We awoke this morning to a nice snowfall in West Texas. By this afternoon the sun was shining and all the snow had melted, but I took these photos of my Trans Ams while they still had snow on them.

My 1977 driver that is covered until the weather gets better.

My 1979 project.

Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
77 T/A, Y82, W72, auto, project
79 T/A, auto, project
78 T/A, T-tops, WS6, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD
78 T/A, hardtop, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
Snow in West Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:19:57 AM »
That has to be an odd sight. I remember only one snow fall in Texas (not quite that much) when I was about 5 or 6 years old and living in Killeen.
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -

Offline dblhh

Snow in West Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:24:13 PM »
Quote from: "Zulu"
That has to be an odd sight. I remember only one snow fall in Texas (not quite that much) when I was about 5 or 6 years old and living in Killeen.

Yeah, I've lived in Texas all my life and we don't always get snow but we'll usually get a little bit at least once every winter. This three-inch snowfall came on a day that nothing was predicted by the area weather stations, while over the weekend they had predicted the "largest snow event for this area in recent memory." Instead we got about half an inch of freezing rain Friday and Saturday followed by half an inch of snow. I'll take the snow over the ice any time. Here's a photo of the ice on my 16-foot trailer (notice the Pontiac wheels 8) ).

Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
77 T/A, Y82, W72, auto, project
79 T/A, auto, project
78 T/A, T-tops, WS6, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD
78 T/A, hardtop, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Snow in West Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:48:06 PM »
Yeah, that's the first thing to grab my attention.  Those are the same wheels that came on my 84 TA -- still got 'em, but they're on my 75
TA now. :?

Offline cal30_sniper

Snow in West Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »
Thats about how much we got down here in Ozona. The last time it snowed here I was in Junior High though. What was really fun was trying to get all the ice and snow off the windshield with no heater and no defroster. Nobody's ever even heard of an ice scraper down here. Should have taken some pics, but we were out of school and I was enjoying my time off. It sure was pretty though...

88 Trans AM GTA – Flame Red/Tan, 350 TPI
86 C20 Suburban - 454/NV4500
73 Formula 350 - under construction

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Snow in West Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 09:06:06 PM »
I think the weirdest winter I had in TX what when we got a 13" snowstorm in San Antonio. Learned to drive in snow that year (I was 15) and proceded to make a killing pulling people out of ditches and up hills with my dad's '69 Ford F100. (You shoulda seen some of the looks I got being so young and being the one to pull them out. :lol: ) Even had tire chains left over from New York. :wink:
Larry