Author Topic: 1979 Formula Height After New Front Coil Springs  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Original79

1979 Formula Height After New Front Coil Springs
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:34:07 PM »
I have just completed the installation of new front coil springs and shocks on my 79 Formula and I am seeking opinions and thoughts.  The front of my car now looks a little high.  I thought maybe after looking at it low all these years maybe I just didn't recognize my car anymore.  However, according to the Pontiac Service Manual(Front Suspension section) the height of the rocker panel at the front edge of the door should be 9 5/8".  The height of my rocker panel at the door is at 10 5/8".  The springs were purchased from Eaton Detroit for this vehicle with the proper engine size and no air conditioning.  My question is this... do new coil spring installations have a tendency to 'settle' and drop after a few days or weeks?

Thanks
Joe

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:32:25 PM »
i have the same problem on my 78. i plan on taking them out & cutting from 1/2 to a full coil off. use a cutting wheel & cut the bottom of the spring. i've read this will fix the height issue. 1/2 coil is about one inch at the fender to wheel gap & a whole coil is about 2", or so i've read. i plan to do mine soon.

hope that helps.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline chitownTA

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 01:15:59 AM »
Did you lose any weight from the front of the car? aluminum parts or take things out like ac?  Otherwise I'd say wait a while to see if they settle before cutting them and getting it lower than you want.

I know my rear leafs looked way too high but now they dropped a couple inches after 2 months.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:56:34 AM »
it takes years for springs to drop. i changed my leafs with correct 4 leaf springs & it hasnt dropped at all in almost 2 years. maybe a centimeter or 2, but no way will springs drop a couple inches in 2 months.

if that was the case you'd need new springs in another 2 months, the a** end would be on the ground! springs do sag but it takes along time. call eaton or moog & ask em if their springs will sag a couple inches in a matter of months, they will tell you absolutely not.

you can choose to wait over a year to see if they drop, but cutting a half coil off the springs will get it where you want & still leave a little room for sagging over the years. plus the t/a's look better with a little rake to the front end in my opinion.

you can also look into drop front spindles, but they are expensive.

hope that helps ya.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's