Author Topic: Problems..  (Read 13135 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: Problems..
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2009, 01:40:52 AM »
I was thinking that it was for a Formula One driver namded Anastasio. Wasn't there an Anastasio Fitipaldy or something like that?
Randy

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »
No idea haha.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2009, 01:56:20 AM »
Just so you guys know, I'm planning on this http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KBT-30N
and
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KBT-30P
along with
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-23
for distributing three different fused circuits throughout the car for when I do an amp/sub setup like Brian C is doing. Not to mention, I may work on getting my power windows to work better this way as well. Not sure though. But these are things I'm going to order soon. I didn't get a chance to go out and measure today Brian because of the ACT (Which I dont know why I took considering I've already gotten into the schools I applied to) but tomorrow I will go out tomorrow and look for possible mounting locations and measurements for the headlight issue.. Also, I want to note that all of my headlights use the three prongs, while it seems that two of the sockets are three prong acceptors. and two are two prong acceptors. What adjustments need to be made to my system to accommodate this?

Future plans, full HID setup which will include all the necessary ballasts/bulbs to completely install HID in my system. Trying to figure out how I will do this, but I definitely have an idea. I will need two kits. One for the High Beam and One for the Low Beam. The High beams run off of two ballasts, one for the left and one for the right. The low beams also will run off two ballasts... Now, I'm going to have to do two kits because most cars these days don't use different housings for the high/low function since they're all in one housing for each side. gotta figure some things out tomorrow. I'll take pictures of the halo/angel eye setup along with the two/three prong receptor issue as well...
Also planning on LED's for the side marker lights and front marker lights (the ones below the headlights). Gotta get the information from the sylvania website and figure that out. But for now, it's all about waiting on the engine/forward lamp harness, and that alternator I ordered...
Will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:58:42 AM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »
I was thinking that it was for a Formula One driver namded Anastasio. Wasn't there an Anastasio Fitipaldy or something like that?

I think that was Emerson Fitapaldi.
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »
Kevin....the 2 prongs vs 3 prongs is meant to idiot proof the car so you can't install a high beam lightbulb in a low beam mounting place. Yes they build better idiots each and every day but its hard to mess that up. I'm sure someone somewhere has managed it, after all that's why we have Darwin Awards :)

How to get around it though....let me look at my wiring harness and see what I can trace around. Or better yet, take a look at yours and see what you can figure out :) It'll give you an idea on tracing circuits for other wiring projects you'll be handling along with the gratification that you figured it out before I did.

I'm laying down the gauntlet...post up your answer before I can. Surely you can beat this 35yr old!

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2009, 11:18:52 AM »
Halo Hook Up Pictures

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »
Kevin,

My best advice....Get the car running in a stock configuration THEN add in the aftermarket lights and stereo. You'll thank yourself later. Nothing like trying to chase a problem down caused by adding additional circuits in....it's the leading cause of premature baldness in males!

That being said.....

Do you have a wiring diagram for the aftermarket lights? That will tell you where to hook up the wires. From what I found here, http://reviews.ebay.com/Halo-Ring-Angel-Eye-Headlights-Proper-Installation_W0QQugidZ10000000001633973, you'll need to tap into the front marker light harness for the turn signal/parking lamp illumination. I have no idea what wires go where so you'll need a test light and the wiring diagram for the aftermarket lights to marry the two together.

As for the 2 prongs vs 3 prongs....do all of your headlights work now? If not, then some moron installed the wrong light bulbs in the wrong opening. The 3 prongs are your low beams and the 2 prongs are the high beams. All 4 headlights should be on when the high beams are activated. If they do work, you'll just need to migrate the changes over to the new harness.

Best I can tell you based off the photos and info you've given me. And unfortunately, this is one you're going to have to figure out on your own.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »
Well as far as the headlights, when I put the low beams on, they come on, then I switch to high beams, the highs come on, but the lows go off, not sure how to fix that. However, they do flicker after ten minutes, I think because I dont have relays in there to provide the extra juice.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »
Well then you've got some gremlins putting electrons and photons where they desire to be. In other words, I have no clue how your 3 prong headlights are working hooked up to 2 prong connectors. Good luck figuring that one out.

You NEED the correct wiring diagram for these headlights for anyone to help you further on that mess.

I can help you with stock...change out the bulbs to the right ones :)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »
Right, so all I need to fix this situation for the hi/low is to change the two center bulbs that are 3 prong and put in two bulbs that are 2 prong? I'm guessing that's what we're getting at here. The center headlights are the hi's, correct?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
Turns out the two center bulbs are h7 thus two prongs and the outer ones are h4 and are three prongs. I was running h4 in the two centers which obviously won't work

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Cool. One problem down right?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »
Yeah, I looked around to figure that out haha. Also, I asked for those two battery post terminal distributors for Christmas to help keep me from having to drop as much money  for doing this project.. Hopefully too I'll get that stereo with the two 6x9's, but of course the engine compartment comes first.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
Making Headway, got my alternator today. Didn't even order the chrome one, but they sent this one to me, but I'm not complaining... Besides, the chrome one costs more, but I paid for the plain jane one, so I came out on top I figure.  :P

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2009, 01:55:44 PM »
Actually on the headlight situation I  think the center hi beams are really H1 bulbs and housings after I posted here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=253145

Apparently HID conversions are a bad idea..
Looking into Hellla/Cibie/Bosch at the moment for 4x6 lamps.

All right so I'm getting the Hella 4x6 H4's and 4x6 H1's. They both require a wiring adapter because the stock layout doesn't work with the new H4/H1 open beam lamps. Haven't ordered yet, but apparently Hellas are the best you can get for these cars.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:26:43 AM by Anastasiofan92 »