Author Topic: I am going insane  (Read 4041 times)

Offline bad76

I am going insane
« on: March 14, 2007, 04:04:40 PM »
I had all kinds of projects that I was going to start this weekend, rebuild the control arms with urethane bushings, new coil springs, traction bars, extra deep trans pan and tie rods. Well I decided to take the car out yesterday because the weather was great in Chicago and I had just put my carb back on after my motor guy did a custom tune. I ran over a fing piece of concrete that had fallen off of a train overpass and now I need a new oil pan. I just put the damn $8000.00 motor in last year and now I get to take it back out, well at least most of way. I think I am going insane.   

Offline kyledyr

• 1981 Trans Am - HydroCarbon powered Eco-Vehicle
Re: I am going insane
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »
maybe get your insurance company involved?
"If you want me to be eco-friendly, make eco-friendly not suck."
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
You gotta hate when that happens.  At least oil pans are not that expensive.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline stimpy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »
no going insane is when you loose your place to work on you car and its not even half done . a oil pan is a 4 hour job .

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:22:32 PM »
Oh yeah!!!  Insurance.  I know a guy who has a 1963 Corvette.  He failed to tighten the oil filter housing correctly...and lost all the oil and ruined the engine.  The shop said...you did run over something that knocked it off....didn't you?  Why of course I did!  The insurance company paid for the new engome.
In your case, you might be able to get coverage for that.  I'm really sorry it happened though. 

Offline bad76

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:33:44 AM »
The oil pan is &250 and the gasket is another $30. It is a mildon 7 quart pan and it will take a little longer than 4 hours, taking off the headers alone is going to take me 2 hours. I have already contacted the city I live in and filed a claim against them because it is because of poor maintenance by the public works that caused it.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
Sorry to hear about this dude.  I feel for ya, especially after paying that kind of money.  But, you'll get it worked out don't frett it!
Rich

Offline Formula79

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »
Oil pan ain't that bad. Pull the motor and make it easy on yourself. As for the headers. Use (3/8 head) header bolts and not the (7/16 head) header bolts. It makes a world of difference on that second gen bird. Hell ya might even enjoy your next header gasket change. ;)
Year:  1979 Firebird Formula (Daily Driver) ;)
CID:  462 Pontiac
Carburetion:  Two 600 CFM Holleys
Transmission:  Turbo 400 (3000 Stall)
Gear Ratio:  323

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Better it was just the pan and not the whole engine.  But still sorry to hear it.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline bad76

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:29:39 AM »
I already have the 3/8 head header bolts but pontiac headers still suck. I think I am more pissed that I am taking apart what I put together this time last year. How far do you think that I will have to raise the motor to change the pan and do you think I will need to pull the trans.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »
I already have the 3/8 head header bolts but pontiac headers still suck. I think I am more pissed that I am taking apart what I put together this time last year. How far do you think that I will have to raise the motor to change the pan and do you think I will need to pull the trans.

yes they are too far tucked up on the bottom side of the head!!!!! as far as raising the motor i know with the factory pan if you raised the motor out of the the motor mounts then but a bolt through the hole as it was out and set it back on top of the mounts that gives plenty of room....but you may need to go a little higher?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....