Author Topic: Limited Choice of tires  (Read 2190 times)

Offline rotary

Limited Choice of tires
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »
Guys, I have this 1978 Trans Am. We are doing the engine and driveline in the USA then shipping to Saudi Arabia for cosmestics as I am on the ground in Saudi and I want it done right without spending tons of cash. Anyway I am preparing and tires have come up.I can get tires in the USA Goodrich T/A at $65 each plus shipping & would put these on in the USA and the car would arrive with them but no warranty if something happens here in Saudi.The tire size I am looking at is P225/R7015
Now I thought yesterday I would run down to the Saudi Firestone dealer and just see what they had. I can get Firestone Firehawk GTA tires with a whitewall (gosh makes me sick)and I know I can turn this on the inside but they look like poor tires. Does anyone have any experience with this tire?Now my wheels are Rally2 stock wheels 15 x 7
Firestone in Saudi has Firehawk WIDE OVALS but......the wrong size. I can get 205/65R15  or   205/6oR15 
Do you guys think any of these are and option?
Its been years since I had a Trans Am and I am outa touch!
Thanks

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: Limited Choice of tires
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:24:52 AM »
I would stay away from the 205 tire size.... it is just too smalle for the car.  The Firestone's are an excellent handling tire for the money.  Not too sure about the white walls, but the Indy 500 from Firestone is a good tire.  The second choice would be the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, and third being the Goodyear Eagle GTII.  I would stick with the 225/70R15 in whatever you get or maybe a little larger, but do not go over a 245 series, especially in the front.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline rotary

Re: Limited Choice of tires
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 05:27:08 AM »
Thanks Hitman. I better go with the Goodrichs I think and at $65 each I think they are worth the money.