Author Topic: FOLLOW THE PROGRESS  (Read 3802 times)

Offline 76ta4spd

• Yearning to see the open road!!!
Re: FOLLOW THE PROGRESS
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Previous owners name was Joe. The title was placed in his name in 02. He has the PHS documentation for the car as well. Great guy really friendly. Older guy. Not gonna say anymore than that because of privacy issues but just a down to earth older guy that want whats best for the car I think. He even went to the extent of getting the official GM herring bone plastic trunk mat for it. I have to go back Friday to pick up the rest of the parts for the car.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
During the process of trying to make room in the garage for the car, I finally got the chance to go through some of the parts for the car (still have not got all of them yet) to discover a few things that made me grin uncontrollably.  ;D ;D ;D I found a stack of papers in one of the boxes with the parts with over 500 bucks in parts listed. I thought to myself, "Cool!" After going through the boxes more, I found the following items brand new in boxes and never opened: Front windshield trim (Complete), complete weatherstripping kit for whole car (including hood to cowl), door handles L&R sides, door window felts, rear seat belts, complete car bumpers for doors, trunk, and hood, and even the GM nose bird emblem. Like I said, all of these parts were brand new in boxes that were not opened yet. Me was HAPPY and could not stop smiling. I was like a kid in a candy store. Add the new GM floor mats and complete T/A decal set that I already knew about and it is a great feeling. We still have to pick up about a half pickup bed full of parts for the Bird tonight or tommorrow. I can't wait to see what other goodies there are to be found. $2,000 seems even better as I find more great parts. When we loaded the car, we discovered that the rear springs and shackles were also brand new and were not even dirty, with stickers still in place. Thought you guys would like to know that even the guys with no luck, like me, get lucky at least one time in thier lives. More pictures tonight or tomorrow.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
Got some stuff done today and here are a few of the pics, as promised...
Now it's time to get some schoolwork done. You guys are the pros so tell em what you think. After I picked up the other parts today, I found a few more new parts and a CAM SPEC SHEET!!!!! Crane Cam grind #284 H12 Part # 105082. Has anyone used this cam before and how does it perform?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:37:34 PM by 76ta4spd »

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »
Please move this thread to Restoration projects, as I am now aware of where it belongs. Thanks. I will do better in the future

James

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
Keep the pics coming!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:36 PM »
thanks for the pictures i am also one who will NOT get a face book!! I have too many x's that like to resurface and create drama and get my wife riled up. They say dumb things like omg I cant believe your married gee thats too bad etc. yeah yeah yeah save it chick this is why your my x and not current. girlfriends that is been married only 1 time (to my current wife) but this happened way too many times on myspace so why even try to open a facebook or any other thing like that for me? I'll just hang out on my safe site that the x's dont know where im at.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 76ta4spd

Re: 76ta4spd FOLLOW THE PROGRESS
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »
Here are a few pics from today. I got the front seats finished, the driver's door done, took some pics with the rear spoiler sitting in place, and "FIRED IT UP". It took a little sweet talk but she did fire. It runs real rough but it was more of a momentous occaision than anything else. I had some buddies over and we went to tinkering. We only let it run for a couple minutes, then shut it down. She will need an oil change, ect... before any real running is allowed. Hope you enjoy the pics. Really stinks to know that all the work I put into getting the interior just has to be ripped out again in spring for the floorboards but hey...at least I will get to drive it for a little while first. Oh and BTW, I can not begin to describe how much I can't stand these rims. Torque Thrust II's sometime in the future will look much more suitable IMO.

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 08:47:17 PM »
Well I got the car into the garage today. It has been in my neighbor's garage and out of respect, I told them that I would not do any work to it while it was in thier garage so now it's finally in mine but man, it's a tight fit. As soon as I get the rest of the parts installed (or find another place to put them) I should be able to work on one side of the body at a time. After this wekends wet cold crap, i made the descision to make room for it. I guess for now I will be able to work on some of the interior stuff (like the alarm system) and work on the engine.

Now to get a heater.....

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »
for the heater, check out Lows. the propane heater that looks like a K-1 heater. the small one I have is 60,000 btu . It heats mine very nice. 125.00
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
Sounds like a job for Hank Hill!
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 01:33:30 AM »
Got new pads on the front so this baby will stop now. Still not real impressed with it so new brake stuff all around to include shoes, springs and wheel cylinders for the rear. New shocks all around and new end links. HEI upgrade kit, new plugs and wires, oil change, finally filled with the proper coolant. Got the Evercoat in the mail the other day so as soon as the mechanicals are done it's on to the body work. Was supposed to take it to the body guy this Sat but mechanicals come first. It's an hour and half to his place but for 100 bucks I'll drive it. I'll have to make a list of all the stuff done this week tomorrow. I bet I have spent the better part of 1000 bucks this week on the car just on the essentials. I did get the sail panel emblems in the mail and they look great. I wish i would have thought of Bret. I would have spend about ten bucks or so more but I would have rather pushed the money that way. Done deal now but in the future..... I did get the chance to drive it a little and boy this things wants to get after it. I think it has 4/11s or 4/56s in the rear. 50mph and I was hitting 2500rpm in 4th gear. That can't be right. I will be looking for someone to swap for some milder mannered gears. Someone was setting this car up for the track cause d@&% she's fast. I like fast but I would rather have better gas mileage cause me gonna drive this one. I will try to get some pics posted tomorrow evening. I am so behind in posting progress pics I should be shot. What a crime! I just been so busy with the car that I forget. lol Has to be roadworthy and metal covered by the 12th when I go back to work. More tomorrow night.....
James

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 02:54:29 AM »
you taking it to a body shop or you doing the work? theres a place down here does great work if you are interested.......right outside of Andrews AFB
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
The guy I'm taking it to lives in Westminster (about an hour from me) and is doing the alignments on his off time. He's only charging around 100 bucks. I told him I just needed functionality of the moving panels (doors, hood, ect...) because it would all be comming back off in late summer for paint. All he is doing is panel alignment. I am doing the bodywork and paint myself. We have a paint booth on post here. I don't know if this is a good price or not because I have never really paid anyone for bodywork. I have always done mechanicals first and never got this far.As always, I am open to all suggestions from the members here. Now it's time for a cup of coffee and outside to the brakes. Man I hate drum brakes!

James

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
where did you buy this car? looks familiar to me
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
OK finally got some real work done and remembered to take some pictures. Please note that the drums don't look as good as I would have normally done them. Usually I buff all the surface rust off every peice and paint them. I will be changing to rear disks next year and they won't degrade enough in one year to hurt anything. Remember I will NOT be driving in snow or ice (salt) and she will only get driven 2 to 3 times a week just to work. This is a secondary vehicle now that the truck has been sold. Maybe even less  now that the temps are starting to come up so I can ride the bike. My favorite picture is the last one. After removing the diff cover to check out the gears I had a very pleasant surprize. Me likey a posi....... Tomorrow she gets all her shocks, bleed all the new breaks, fill the diff, new ignition components, and hopefully started on getting that window and hardware in the passenger's side door. Teusday or Wednesday she goes to the bodyman for panel alignment. Within a couple weeks she gets some primer. This is the paln anyway. Hope you like the pics. I deliberately took the pictures of the drum brakes in hopes someone may be able to use them for a reference should they decide to do thier own and forget how they go together. More pics tomorrow hopefully. I still don't understand why I am doing 2500rpm at 55mph in 4th gear. Is this normal for a 3.08 with a ST-10 4spd? Isn't 4th gear a 1:1? I am not very educated with these trannies or gears so I am open to be educated. I am learning a lot with this car. One important question here::::: Is there a specific type lubricant for these gears? I seem to remember something about an additive or something. Would rather ask now than to damage later then ask why?

James

LR DRUM BRAKE

RR DRUM BRAKE

LS END LINK

RS END LINK

2.08 POSI