Author Topic: Converting to rear disc brakes  (Read 3268 times)

Offline stanski

Converting to rear disc brakes
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »
I'm planning on converting to rear disc brakes. I have all the bits and peices (I think) but I'm not sure where all the brackets for e-brake cables mount, or what position the e-brake activator arms bolt to the caliper piston. I could really use an expanded view diagram of the complete set-up but I don't have a TA shop manual.

Also, once installed, should I put an adjustable proportioning valve in front of the rear brakes? I currently have the factory valve used for front discs and rear drums.

Any help is appreciated. You can email direct to stanski@telusplanet.net

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »
youll need a different master cylinder if you dont already have one.....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
You should contact Maltese Falcon, who posts here -- he's done the entire swap and has it documented with pictures.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:22:36 PM »
The master cylinder would be different as was already mentioned. Also, the power booster is different, a dual diaphram. And a disc/disc proportioning valve is needed to, although you could use the adjustable if you wanted to, but putting a factory type one on would be easier.
The 79, 80, or 81 supplemental service manuals should have the instruction on how to work on the rear discs, since 79 was the first year for them. I know the 80 does, since I have that one.
The owner of this website has the service manuals on CD for a reasonable price, so I suggest you get one of those supplements so you'll have the rear disc servicing information on hand.
Steve F.

Offline MalteseFalcon

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:41:13 AM »
Does this help?

Right:

Left:

Assembly Manual:

Steve

1978 WS6 W72 4 Speed - Martinique Blue on Light Blue - Fire Am restification Project

Offline stanski

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »
Thanks for the photos and diagrams. It's exactly what I needed.