Author Topic: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am  (Read 35621 times)

Offline Striker

Re: My new 1971 Trans Am New Pics Added
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:32 AM »
Sorry to hear about the car. M&H Wiring would be a suggested company to get a replacement harness from. Ames/Classic/etc all get their harnesses from M&H so go direct to the source and save.

Any idea what happened besides it being an electrical fire? Just old wiring or something??

Thanks for the info Brian! I pulled everything from the dash, and it looks like it started somehwere near the Cig lighter. The wires to the lighter were bare, and melted. I won't really know until the shop takes a look at it and tells me what they think.
Norwood and Mr71TransAm, You both have VERY Nice Cars! I am so proud to have the same year you do! I really love the 70-74 Birds! Mine goes in on March 5 to get repaired, and then I will be out enjoying it everyday I can!

1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline sixgunsblazing

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
Good luck on the repair job, beautiful car, hope you get it back on the street soon

Offline Striker

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
Good luck on the repair job, beautiful car, hope you get it back on the street soon

Thanks! It goes into the shop Either Thursday or Friday this week because I am still waiting on some parts. There is a lot of damage, but I should have it back in a few weeks. Hopefully Before the end of the month.

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 08:47:13 AM »
did you contact the PO about the situation and see if they had any prior knowledge of the problem.  maybe just odd timing for it to happen just after you got it.  either way you have a good perspective on it and you are getting it fixed. 
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline Striker

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:56 AM »
did you contact the PO about the situation and see if they had any prior knowledge of the problem.  maybe just odd timing for it to happen just after you got it.  either way you have a good perspective on it and you are getting it fixed. 

I did Call him after it happened, and he said he could not think of anything that could have caused it. I did Take it out the day before, and everything seemed to work perfectly. After pulling the pieces apart, I said it looked like it started with the cig lighter wiring. After having the shop look at it and give estimate, he agrees with me. I dont think he ever ran anything off the Cig lighter, and I was using a Radar detector, so maybe it was just a short? IDK, but it will be fixed soon! The Whole Dash needs to be replaced due to melted brackets for the guages. There is a significant amount of damage behind the dash. The Flames were coming out the Defrost Vents and almost as high as the headliner. Good thing I had 3 Fire Extinguishers, or the car  would have been a loss. All the Guages were Sent off to Redline for Restoration. Have all the the Ductwork here (thanks Blurr), and have windshield, Carpet, and other electronics still on order. It goes into the shop Friday....on a flatbed :(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:58:45 AM by Striker »

Offline Striker

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »
Well Guys, Here is an update after the fire repair...

Picked the car up Monday from the shop...repair done. Well the same night, Throttle stuck wide open, had to shut car off to stop it. Took it back Tuesday. Got it back yesterday, and took it out for about 200 miles. No Problems. Sounds good, drives even better.

Today, took it out for 10 min, jumped on it, and White smoke everywhere from engine and tailpipes. Shut car off and coasted to shoulder. Got it towed back to shop, (around 515) they waited for me to get there, and they looked at it real quick. Checked Coolant, Full. Started car for a sec, sounds great, but blowing Smoke like crazy. Owner says it looks like trans fluid out the pipes.

He says hopefully its some kind of modulator, which would be a quick, cheap, easy fix. He says thats really the only way for trans fluid to enter the engine?? 

I swear this car is Possessed, and I have had about enough of it.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
Re: Post fire repair update...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »
Oh good LORD................Is there no end of bad things that can happen to people this year?

Gunner
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:51:18 PM by Gunner »
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline SOLICIT

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
If this keeps up, it sounds like we might get our "orange" 76's together after all!

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »
White smoke is water.

Blue smoke is an oil of some sort.

Black smoke is carbon (Fuel rich).

Green smoke makes people smile.

White smoke and transmission ???
Transmission and tail pipe ??

-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline Striker

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 01:07:16 AM »
White smoke is water.

Blue smoke is an oil of some sort.

Black smoke is carbon (Fuel rich).

Green smoke makes people smile.

White smoke and transmission ???
Transmission and tail pipe ??

It was Def White Smoke, and there was a LOT. I could not see any cars behind me until they came through the smoke. Even Pulled over, and engine off for 3-4 min, there was still a decent amt of smoke coming from the tailpipes. He said it could be trans fluid if some sort of modulator failed. I really have no idea, all I know is that this car is driving me insane. He stuck his finger in the pipes and said it was "oily". Idk, but I guess I will know more tmrw.

Offline Striker

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »
If this keeps up, it sounds like we might get our "orange" 76's together after all!

That may very well happen Tommy. Guess I am not meant to have my "dream Car" (70-74) style :(

Oh good LORD................Is there no end of bad things that can happen to people this year?

Gunner
It Seems like a lot of people are having a rough start to the year. Hopefully things turn around quickly. I can't do this for another 8 months.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
Which God did you make mad?  haha  Seems like the year of "issues"
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Trevor02TA

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
bad trans mod will pull fluid into the intake and smoke white like crazy. Had that a few years back and thought the car was on fire. Not funny especially for you!
76 T/A   12.30's or 10.90's on spray
77 SE T/A  stock
02 ws6 T/A  13.0's

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
^^^^ yes!
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline Striker

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 11:58:04 AM »
bad trans mod will pull fluid into the intake and smoke white like crazy. Had that a few years back and thought the car was on fire. Not funny especially for you!

Thats what the shop said, so I am hoping thats what it is. And Yes, I have never seen so much smoke in my life. I jumped out with a fire extinguisher and opened the hood ready to spray. Very Scary especially on interstate and knowing what this car has been through already.

Which God did you make mad?  haha  Seems like the year of "issues"

I am wondering the same thing. I will not give up on this car yet. I love this style, and I will get it working right.....one day