Author Topic: Crotch Rocket Fairing fix  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Schroeder

Crotch Rocket Fairing fix
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
Hey guys, so I ride bikes on the side.  Particularly Ninjas.  I have some deep fairing scratches and wanted to sand them down with a buffer, and then bring them back to shine with very, very fine sand paper and polish.  Is this possible?  Has anyone else done this on bikes or plastic?  I'm hesitant to do it because I'm not sure the shine will come back.  I've helped lessen scratches with heavy elbow grease and liquid abrasives followed by polishing, but these scratches are deep and it didn't bring them out all the way. 

Does anyone here ride?  If so have you had similar experiences?  If not, have you had similar experiences on any other kinds of plastics?  Thanks in advance guys.

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: Crotch Rocket Fairing fix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:53:09 AM »
post a pic/pics and i am sure one of us can help
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
use semi rigid plastic/ ABS repair. 2 part expoxy. about 40 bucks. Use it on my bike and a slew of other applications. good stuff. the key  is you want it to be partly flexible as the plastic moves especially at speed. I typically repaint the fairing when done. the paint/ coating that is use is thin so any repair will need to be repainted.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
start with 1500 grit, if the scratches dont come out, or its down to the paint youll have to sand the whole panel down and re-shoot it, if its road rash most likely this is what you will have to do... if the scratches do come out, buff it out...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
Alright guys I'll get some pics up.  Maybe you can offer more help then.  Hopefully I can get them up here by Sunday.  Pretty busy with school and a wedding until then.

TAKID455, what particular product did you use?  Any particular product that you've had a positive experience with that you would recommend? 

Also, just wanted to mention how AWESOME and how much I LOVE this forum and all of you guys.  I have posted this same question and discussion topic on a kawasaki forum before.  Usually there are no responses.  I post the same topic to you guys and within a couple hours I already have 3 replies. I'm glad I've found a bunch of helpful, do-it-yourself'ers.  Thanks a lot guys.

PICS ARE COMIN'!

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
I use wurth and 3M. both excellent a search will land you the 3M product.  try working the plastic first and this stuff is meant for breaks, not fine scratch filler.

Know anyone who wants a 99 Zx9 w/ '01 motor? I'll trade w/ cash for a green or blue 2007 Zx10.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
Sorry man, I don't know anyone.  I've been trying to get of my 07 zx6r since last summer. 

Also, you mean it's just for fixing cracks in the fairings?  I have some scratches that aren't just light though.  I would say they're road rash as eroc stated.  Pretty serious scratching.  I read the instructions on how to prep the area that uses the 3M semi-rigid plastic repair.  Another product is also needed.  Some kind of bumper tab fixer?   Did you use this too after you sanded down the area that you had to fix? 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:05:06 PM by Schroeder »

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Crotch Rocket Fairing fix
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »
What's the price ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
One product was $40-$50 and one was $30.  ughh.....expensive...cheaper than a new fairing but for that price I may as well get a new one...I don't know...it'd be different if I was keeping my bike and may need the stuff in the future, but I'm trying to get rid of my bike so I don't want to spend a lot of time on it.  Maybe I could use the epoxy on something else in the future though I guess.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:56:39 PM by Schroeder »

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »
Hey guys, so I ride bikes on the side.  I have some deep fairing scratches.

Try riding on the tires instead of the side. LOL I bet you'll scratch the fairings less. Sorry...Couldnt resist!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
I guess I never really put much thought into it, but I think you're right.  I'll try that!

;D

hahahha

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
I would like to get a bike just go to back and forth to work.  Whats a good used bike go for?
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys. I was unable to post the last two days but Brett fixed it.  I'm looking to get $4500 from my bike.  I think I may just get some new fairings for the bike.  Then I may be able to sell it for $5000.  No one wants to buy a scuffed up bike it seems like.  Guys who ride crotch rockets typically aren't fix-it-uppers like us it seems.  They want something perfect and wanna ride.  Understandable, but a few scuffs and cracks wouldn't deter me from buying like it has many people who looked at my bike.