Author Topic: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!  (Read 690723 times)

Offline 78 TA FAN

Re: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!
« Reply #3810 on: June 10, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
Bloomington Illinois, restoring a 78 SE.  Need lot of help...

Offline PokeyJR

« Reply #3811 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:42 PM »
Orofino Idaho here, I just recently inherited my dad's 78 Formula Firebird and plan on starting a full restoration on it this fall/winter. I even took on my dad's nickname for the sake of my username (he went by Pokey). I'm gonna be opening up a thread for the restoration here in just a little bit so if you're interested come follow it.

Offline 7d8

« Reply #3812 on: June 12, 2017, 11:08:29 AM »
I'm John and live in Central Florida. I just acquired a 1973 custom Firebird. I got the Pontiac bug back in my teens. I owned a 79 TA and it survived through my high school days. I sold it after owning for 13 years and missed it ever since. I started looking for a replacement a few years ago and cant believe how hard they are to find.

Offline RodWorx23

« Reply #3813 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
Hi my name is Zack, live in Ecru ,Ms.
I own and operate Rogers Rod Worx where we do restorations, and build custom cars. For the past few years we have specialized in 77-79 Trans Ams. We built a Trans am National winner last year, a red 78 t-top car with camel interior. Currently we are finishing up a 79 10th Anniversary frame off that we will be taking to the nationals this year. I have a 80 firebird that I have started for myself that will be a full custom build. I look forward to sharing out projects with you folks.
Rogers Rod Worx
Ecru, Ms
A car is not just a way from point A to point B.... It is the point

Offline LWS78SE

« Reply #3814 on: June 26, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »
Glad to see some new members on here! Good luck with your builds and lets keep these birds alive!
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law!"

Offline tsm3rdz

« Reply #3815 on: June 29, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,

My name is Ben and I am from Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I've got a sundance yellow '79 w72 ws6.  Every available option and build sheet.  I'v e had it for almost 20 years now.  I bought it with a "rebuilt engine",put 330 miles on it, then it blew up.  I was 19 at the time, and heartbroken.   I pulled the engine, found a spun cam bearing, and that's as far as I got.  Over the years I have dissembled it further and further, always with the intention of restoring it. 

I joined here because I've got a 2 year old, and another due in Sept. , and i'm contemplating selling it.  You always hear those stories about guys who have projects that sit forever, and then they grow old and die, and someone finally gets a chance to restore it. I don't want this to be that situation.  I don't want to put it on craigslist and have some idiot who doesn't know anything about these cars offer me $100 and a broken lawn mower for it. I don't know if I should post this in the "trans am values section", or if I even can since I'm a brand new member. I don't have a clue what it's worth, and would value anyone's honest input.  Moderators, feel free to move this or give me input on where or how to get more information.

Thanks
Ben

Offline Sadler

« Reply #3816 on: July 10, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
Howdy y'all. Yup, I'm from Dallas Texas.
 We bought my 17 year old a 79 T-Top 403. First T/A and the last GM I owned was 30 years ago and didn't need to do the things we have already done to this car nor the things we will need to do to this car. So, I'll have questions. (Door hinges)
 I look forward to visiting with y'all.

Offline Jim L

« Reply #3817 on: July 11, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
Hello Firebird lovers. I'm new to the site to introduce myself and get advice. I have a 78 TA6.6 Canadian version. 400, T-Roof, blue, Serial Number 2W87Z8L172845. All factory original with 64,000 km (40,000 miles). Never winter driven, indoor stored, oil changed every year. Very disappointed this year when I took the car out for a spin and the timing chain broke. Towed to  local mechanic, he informed me the front crank bearing is completely destroyed and the engine needs major rebuild. 40,000 miles! So now I need the experts/firebird fans' advice. My mechanic is of the opinion a car like this is valuable more to me than collectors and I should just rebuild it for fun. Even replace the original with a warrantied GM motor and add bells and whistles as I see fit. I would of guessed that rebuilding the original motor and keeping everything as stock as possible would be the correct decision. Advice?
Jim in Calgary, Canada.

Offline Sadler

« Reply #3818 on: July 31, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »
Welcome aboard!
  My opinion is your mechanic is wrong!
 I would rebuild what you have and keep a numbers matching car. The VALUE will be higher. WORTH is in the eyes of a seller.

Offline feitorp

New here but not to T/A's.
« Reply #3819 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
Just registered and checking in. Paul From Las Vegas NV, 45 years old, I am a Aircraft Tech for a corporate flight department and specialize on Gulfstream aircraft.This is my fifth Trans Am I have owned over the years, 3rd second Gen to be exact and two 3rd Gen's previously. Current T/A is a 79 Heritage Brown example that I have been accomplishing a resto mod build on over the past year and a half. Here is a brief list on the mod's performed BTW I do all of my own work.

Dart 555 CI BBC build, Big M Block, Dart Pro 1 Cylinder Heads, all Forged internals Dynoed at 710HP,735 TQ.
Hedman Headers 2" primary's 3.5" collectors.
C&R aluminum radiator with dual SPAL electric fans.
Fi Tech 1200HP Fuel injection system.
400LPH in tank pump.
2004R CPT trans " Art Carr" 10" converter 2800 stall with PML deep sump pan.
Very large trans cooler..
G-Force Trans cross member.
Moser 12 bolt, Eaton Tru Trak unit 373 gearing.
Upgraded drive shaft with 1350 yokes front  and rear.
Dual 3" exhaust, X pipe with Pypes Race Pro Mufflers.
PTFB Solid subframe bushings with PTFB subframe connectors and G braces.
Wilwood disc brake kit front and rear.
Hotchkis TVS kit with Global West upper and lower tubular control arms and Delium Bushing kit through out including rear leaf spring pivot ponts with heavy duty shakles.
18" billet SnowFlake Wheels (Like Year One Designe) These were ordered from Trans Am of Florida but U.S Mag builds these wheel exclusively for them.
Total interior rebuild with new O.E.R dash Pad and Custom leather wrapped wheel.

I am probably forgetting some things but that is the meat of it..........

On the "LIST" still.
160 mph speedometer conversion.
9" converter 3200 to 3500 stall.
Classic car audio system.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:44:22 PM by feitorp »

Offline 69Catalina

• Grind Hard
« Reply #3820 on: August 04, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
Devante here or Dee and I live in saint louis Missouri
He who makes a BEAST of himself get rids of the Pain of being a MAN

Offline DatSumBitch

• Rescue a TA today! Don't let it become a Prius
« Reply #3821 on: August 10, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »
Hey there,
       I just got my dream ride, a a black 79. Saved one more from the crusher is always a good thing. Trying to get here put back together before the snow hits out here.
Now onto the least important portion= My name is Rob, I'm originally from Brazil, but immigrated here (legally y'all) back in 81, I lived in Cleveland for 10 years, then Hawaii, then the Mountains here in Colorado, now i live in a small town outside of Denver.... May be looking at moving to Branson.. I'm a single full time Dad of 2 great kids who love TA's as much as i do.

Offline Dinero

• SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI "
« Reply #3822 on: August 10, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
Welcome and many thanks for saving that 79 T/A. Hope it work out for you...post foto's as soon as you can. 
Desi Dinero

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni

Offline Mustanglimey

« Reply #3823 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
Hi I'm Shaun and live just outside London UK.
I have found this site fantastic to fact find on a 1977 Goldenrod yellow Trans Am I'm picking up soon from a good friend.
I love US muscle and admit to being a Ford guy, had a 66 mustang GT coupe, then a 97 SVT cobra and now own a 427 LX foxbody.
It's a long story but I've ended up with th TA as well, just had body n paint and at  a deal I couldn't refuse.
Not yet got the data code/vin as it's being checked over so only seen it the once.
It's the Pontiac engined version possibly an L72 with a few mods. Looking forward to using this as my fox is not street friendly.
Gonna clean up the engine bay and interior when it arrives. Already got new "stock" appearing chrome rocker covers. Shakers been opened up, Hooker headers, 0.30 bore, 260 HE comp camp, intake, Holley 750. Aftermarket ex system but fancy getting the stock tailpipes on.
I'll post some pics when I resize them.
Again, the info on here is amazing and I can talk pontiac with my poncho owning buddies now!

Offline Mustanglimey

« Reply #3824 on: August 25, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
Added photo