Author Topic: Vintage air  (Read 2190 times)

Offline rserrano45transam

Vintage air
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »
Just installed a vintage air complete system in my 78 TA. I havent charged or evacuated the system yet. Before the install I drained all the coolant like my instructions told me too. Now that system is in and the compressor is belted to the motor can I add coolant and run my car without charging or evacuating the system. Or do I have to evacuate it and charge it before I start my car ?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Vintage air
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:04 PM »
By coolant do you mean refrigerant? If wired correctly tbe pressure switch will prevent operation until enough refrigerant is in the lines.

Offline rserrano45transam

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »
By coolant I mean antifreeze in the radiator. And by running it without refrigerant won't burn up the compressor ?

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:54:34 PM »
There's usually oil in the compressor already unless it leaked out when the caps were off and you were moving it around. You can go ahead and start the car as long as you've got the engine coolant in it.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:56:22 PM »
I figured that much but couldn't see the connection of radiator to ac system, unless had to remove to install.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 11:30:50 PM »
The compressor won't be running anyway unless the clutch is engaged, which also won't without anything in system.