Author Topic: Swap to 4 speed transmission  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Dingo6789

• Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die. - Hunter S.
Swap to 4 speed transmission
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »
First time on this forum, from what I have read you guys are a fantastic source of information and have been a huge help!
     Here is one, looking into swapping my olds 403 in my 79 out with a 455/488 stroker eventually, but want to do my homework. Curious if it's possible and how easy it would be to install a 4 speed transmission like a 700r AOD. The car is automatic, not a standard. Has anyone done something like this before? Suggestions?

Thanks!  ::)  ::) ::)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Swap to 4 speed transmission
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
No different to adding an overdrive trans to any other Olds or Pontiac, but be aware that's a chev trans and you'll need to add adaptor plates and move trans mount and shorten driveshaft and rig up carb linkages to suit. Nothing new, trans places have been doing these since the transmissions came out. Already a wealth of information out there. Do a search on your engine type, assume Pontiac 455 and with 700 trans.

Offline Dingo6789

• Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die. - Hunter S.
Re: Swap to 4 speed transmission
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »
Great info! Its not often its a simple component swap when straying away from factory standards. Usually some modification is to be expected, i just like to make sure I'm not jumping into a complete chop shop situation lol.