Author Topic: New Member  (Read 957 times)

Offline 69Catalina

• Grind Hard
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
Hello, name is Dee 25 years young. I have a 77 481988 400 block that i would like to turbo. Currently in school for automotive technology, plan on taking the high performance racing technology course as well. Block has 6x-4 heads. I need suggestions on what'll be the best way to get 500 hp with a turbo or twin turbo. I have about 4 thousand i can put into engine if that helps.
He who makes a BEAST of himself get rids of the Pain of being a MAN

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
That sort of money will go nicely towards a standard rebuild assuming nothing else required along the way, and there always is. Be clever with the costs, don't try to keep up with Billy and his Civic. Many will tell you straight away that the block mentioned is not suitable for anything too much over 450hp, especially with boost. So be realistic and aim for that. If it absolutely needs a turbo then source an earlier or different block, or add so little boost that it really wasn't worth the effort or cost. Because those figures are very doable on a 400 rebuild before you even add a turbo, then it goes through the roof, power and costs and probably pieces of piston. Not trying to kill your enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:02:20 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline 69Catalina

• Grind Hard
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that that block was one of the beefier blocks and could take more hp. Boost isnt required just trying to get into the 600 hp range

Offline 69Catalina

• Grind Hard
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
Had the wrong year its a 78 w72 xx block