Author Topic: DASH CAP OR REPRO DASH??  (Read 1129 times)

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
DASH CAP OR REPRO DASH??
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
HEY GUYS IVE SEEN THE CAPS AND REPOP DASH BOARDS AVAILABLE HAS ANYONE OR KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS DONE EITHER ONE? IF I CONTINUE TO MOVE FORWARD WITH MY TA MY DASH HAS A CRACK AND KNOWING I CAN BUY A REPOP DASH FOR LESS MONEY THAN A GOOD SHAPE USED ONE IS TEMPTING BUT THE COST OF THE DASH CAP IS TEMPTING AS WELL. ANY INSIGHT ON THIS? I THINK ANYTHING LOOKS BETTER THAN A CRACK BUT I DONT WANT TO WASTE MONEY IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. IM CURIOUS TO IF THE REPOP DASH FITS LIKE THE ORIGINAL? IMPUT WOULD BE GREAT.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline grenggli

Re: DASH CAP OR REPRO DASH??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
I changed dash color and put a cap on my 1981 TTA dash.  Went from dark brown to black.  The dash cap fits fairly well and you really need to follow instructions on preparation before using the provided silicon glue.  Make sure you clean dash with the stuff that takes all of the oils and waxes off per instructions.  DO NOT USE a substitute glue unless you get it approved by the manufacturer.  If you are doing a restore that entails it to look 100 percent perfect stock, this is not the right option.  You can still upon close inspection see edges for cut outs for emergency parking brake release, under top of dash, etc.  Overall, for a nice driver if put on right, it looks nice.

Greg
1981 Blk & Gold Pontiac TTA with  455 SE clone--sold
1978 Silver Pontiac TA with BB 454 (sold)
1989 Maui blue Pontiac Firebird Formula--sold
1988 Flame Red Pontiac GTA 5.0TPI 5spd T-tops-sold
1993 Burgundy Z28 Camaro LT1 Auto hardtop==sold

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
so this definately is not the way i want to go because with it being a y88 it must look perfect to me or im not going to do such the thing.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »
Well, here are your options:  Buy an Original dash on Ebay for about $900-$1100.  Have the dash refinished by Dashboard Restorations USA for $650.  Buy a reproduction dash from Classic Industries for $400 (and wait 8+ months to get it).  Or buy a dash cap for $89 and install it as stated above.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:48:33 AM »
or take the dash existing and have it restored for 650 what is the general turn around time on that? if the car doesnt sell soon enough im going to start ripping it apart. also hitman, i still havent gotten that paint yet, how long does that type of shipping take? i would have thought to have it by now even as parcel post.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
The turn around time on the dash is about 4 to 6 weeks.  Yes, the paint should have definately been there by now.  It went parcel with no confirmation or tracking or anything so it could be anywhere.  I will send another small can out on Monday with tracking this time.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »
hmmm thats odd i will pm you my address again.