Author Topic: Tires and handling  (Read 12273 times)

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: Tires and handling
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 10:13:25 AM »
how do "they" know your tire size and how would "they" know if it was stock?  im sure the 255 had an equivalent size in 78...something like H/60/15
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
Who's "they"? It's generally accepted that a 225/70R15 is the stock tire size on a 77-78 Trans Am because that's what the manufacturer specified (not sure if those years are the correct ones, someone please chime in).

Geno

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
i was responding to rainmans comment about collector plates.    "they" is the gov.  do "they" check that closely
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »
The answer is simple- have a set of 15 x 7 rally II's w/ the stock tires for inspection, and then run the 15 x 8 snowflakes w/ the 255/60's later. But I also suspect a government bureaucrat wouldn't even know the difference between both sizes.

Geno

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
bingo...i was thinking the same thing.
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »
i was responding to rainmans comment about collector plates.    "they" is the gov.  do "they" check that closely
The answer is simple- have a set of 15 x 7 rally II's w/ the stock tires for inspection, and then run the 15 x 8 snowflakes w/ the 255/60's later. But I also suspect a government bureaucrat wouldn't even know the difference between both sizes.

Geno

Ok wrong answer lol .
They are the ICBC , vehicle insurance run by the goverment of BC .
Anyways ,you could easily do what you mentioned,send pictures in with the proper tires ,then change them when you receive your plates .
But here's the kicker . Locally ,a Guy had an 80 Vett ,and they wouldn't give him plates because he had a CD player . So he went and got a radio delete plate ,which
corrected the problem . Well the bad news is ,he was in an accident ,the car was a write off.  When they looked at the car the investigaters seen he had reinstalled his CD played ,
so he collected NO INSURANCE . I was actually told this when I applied for insurance ,they wanted me to be on the safe side .
Now your area may not be as anal . But if I was to get the plates ,I would let them know that I changed the brand and size of tire right off the get go . Beats having no insurance . If they were available in 78 ,no problem . Same with wheels ,if you change them and they were era correct that year ,its ok .
If they can find a way not to pay you ,they will do there best not to .

Offline 79T/Aman

• http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »
hate to get political here but how in the world you you guys up there vote in such politicians that will pull your insurance over a CD player

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 09:41:37 PM »
hate to get political here but how in the world you you guys up there vote in such politicians that will pull your insurance over a CD player

Its a long story

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »
are you forced to have that insurance, what about collector car ins.  i know your serious but this sounds like a twilight zone  no wonder gretzky went to LA (jk)
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »
are you forced to have that insurance, what about collector car ins.  i know your serious but this sounds like a twilight zone  no wonder gretzky went to LA (jk)

Sorry if I mis informed you . If you get normal everyday insurance  ,there are no issues ,other than they will fight you tooth and nail to screw you if you have a claim  .
But with collector plates ,which give you the cheap insurance ,is where you have to fit all this criteria.
It is extremely expensive to live here though . I pay almost $200 a month for my truck insurance ,and thats with the max discount . I payed $ 186 a month for a silly 1100 cc honda shadow ? and it gets worse if you ride a larger class cc ,or a crotch rocket . I have to have colision ,as I have payments on my truck . But believe it or not ,even though my truck is new ,they will not replace the parts with new ,only aftermarket crap . You have to pay alot extra on top of that to get what they call replacement parts.

Gretzky lived one province over though in Alberta  ,and the insurance was about a qaurter of what I pay here . I hear they are raising there rates ,so its probably about half as much now . They are private insurance though ,but we  must buy your insurance threw the goverment in BC ,at least the public liability .
This place sucks in reality ,its very hard to get ahead . If I made 6 figures a year I guess I could actually save for the future lol . But such is life.

Last year  the ICBC got caught with a huge on going scam . They were writing off peoples vehicles that had little damage ,claiming they were beyond repair . Then the employies that had access to the computers were putting them back as repairable . They were fixing them and selling them for a huge profit . They finally got caught ,and what do they do ,they get there own people to do the investigation. The people who were guilty got let go  ,and I heard they got  $100,000 buy out packages ?
Isn't that wonderful,that will teach them  .  This province is just one corrupt s#^* hole in reality ,

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:33:18 AM by RainMan »

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »
You gotta love your local government.  ::)

I'm getting my '72 back on the road soon, and will be upgrading my coverage to to include collision as well. I'm sure my insurance company would love me to think that my Firebird is an old used car and not worth any money, but we all know better- I'll get better coverage or even get a new carrier if they think can dictate what kind of replacement parts I'll put on the car in the event of an accident.

And as for wheels/ tires- they would probably deny any claim I made if the car was stolen w/ $1700 worth of 18" wheels/ tires, but I think I can find a company to give me coverage for that and all of the aftermarket parts I have on the car.

Geno

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 04:17:29 PM »
Well, we're heading this direction with healthcare in the US.  It'll cost a family with a combined income of $80K something like $6K a year ... either pay it or pay a "penalty".  Hold on for the ride ..

Gretzky lived one province over though in Alberta  ,and the insurance was about a qaurter of what I pay here . I hear they are raising there rates ,so its probably about half as much now . They are private insurance though ,but we  must buy your insurance threw the goverment in BC ,at least the public liability .
This place sucks in reality ,its very hard to get ahead . If I made 6 figures a year I guess I could actually save for the future lol . But such is life.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline 79T/Aman

• http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 06:21:08 PM »
AH! I think I see something there, vehicles are never the expensive part of any auto insurance claim especialy if they are going to use used parts (but that is one way to create jobs because used parts need more labor...sneeky bastards), the expensive part of an auto accident is.........drum roll.... health care for the injured, it's just not called a tax (because lets face it at 186/month for a Honda Shadow that's more than the payment) sounds an awful lot like todays news doesn't it?!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:42 PM »
They are the ICBC , vehicle insurance run by the goverment of BC .

There ya' go -- that's the beginning and end of the problem.  Your story sounds all too plausible and (in fact) probable once the government gets involved. ::) ::) ::)

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
Can we talk about big wheels and tires again please? All of this talk about local government is making me want to take a poop...

Geno