Author Topic: 72 Formula 400 air conditioning  (Read 952 times)

Offline purpleblue72

72 Formula 400 air conditioning
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
    Anyone out there who has a factory air conditioning system on their 70 - 73 Firebird ? I am in the process of replacing mine. It was missing the compressor when I bought the car but as far as I know all of the wiring is correct.
    What I don't know and cant seem to figure out from all of the other web sites  selling parts is where are the locations of the high side and low side ports used for recharging the system are  suppose to be and then I seem to have a two wire plug at the front of the engine that coordinates with the two wire plug on the new compressor I bought.  I am also switching to R-134 so I replaced the POA valve with the new style replacement to make the system cycle more often.
     I have a 1970 assembly manual that shows the wiring schematic but it shows one wire leading to the compressor and the other to ground. I vacuumed the system down and tried recharging it but cat seem to get my compressor the engage so I am not sure whether I am missing something in the wiring or if it is wired correct and I have a bad switch or something like that. 
      Any pictures or info would be helpful and appreciated !! If you want it could be sent to my e-mail if you ask for it.

Offline mikekop

Re: 72 Formula 400 air conditioning
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:10 AM »
This is just a hunch, but in my car, the vacuum hose that engage the a/c had come loose from the vacuum tree on the heater adjust panel in the dash. You should be able to get access if you take out the instrument cluster, or glove compartment.

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk
I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline purpleblue72

Re: 72 Formula 400 air conditioning
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »
Thanks , I will probably end up having to check from the start to the end pulling out the instrument cluster in the process so I will look for that but, my concern at this point is the connections under the hood in the engine compartment so I know my compressor is capable of being powered up. Any pictures of the connections or descriptions would be appreciated.