Author Topic: Driver side Window won't go down...  (Read 1748 times)

Offline OldSkull75

Driver side Window won't go down...
« on: June 11, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
Hi, I'm New Here, 1980 Trans Am 400 4 Speed..
  I was out on a cruise, and noticed my Driver Side Window won't go down. It goes up slowly but not down. Can I Force it down by hand? Or will that damage the tracks?
- is it likely the motor? And is that something I can do myself?
Thanks for any help, I'm new to all this  :)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Driver side Window won't go down...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
Need more info. Normally when worn out they will not go up but will go down simply from the weight of the window
 Has it gone down before or only just got it? If it locks up half way down it's often an incorrectly routed mirror cable.

Offline OldSkull75

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »
Thanks for replying,
 The window goes up really really Slowly... but not down at all.
Yesterday I had to help the Window go up, but it went down fairly easily, now it won't go down at all...
    I put a little force to push it down but it won't budge now... do you think it could be the mirror cable?
 Thanks again!

Offline OldSkull75

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
I've only had the car for a week, it's been slowly getting restored over the last 8 years... so I'm not very familiar with it yet...
thanks again!

Offline OldSkull75

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
And the window is only 5"s up... I didn't want to take it all the way up cause it's hot as hell here today lol.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
Did you get this figured out? Could be as simple as something in the track causing the problem.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:18:10 AM »
If the mirror cable was incorrectly directed through the tracks then it would stop the window going all the way down, but not stopping it going up. Usually. Unless it was somehow already down when cable put through it which case it would always stop at same point also going up but fine down. Sounds like burnt out wiring and bad contacts, as per all of them.