Author Topic: TransAm_Stans 76 400 4sp Project  (Read 44799 times)

Offline aldo

Re: TransAm_Stans 76 400 4sp Project
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
Happy holidays stan,i wish i had the tail sectiones you need and the nuts for the tail lights i would have given them free just to help,i know what its like to need parts like yesterday,i sometimes wait 6 month or more before i can get stuff for my project.
merry christamss
MY PROJECT 1977 clone
http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=36073.0

You can make things happen,want things to happen,or wonder what the f"$k happened,were making things happen

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
Stan looking great. I was wondering where did you get your full quarters and tail pan? Everywhere I have seen quarters is just the lower sections.
Thanks,
Josh
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »
Stan looking great. I was wondering where did you get your full quarters and tail pan? Everywhere I have seen quarters is just the lower sections.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh,

Tail pan came from Rock Auto.

Full quarters at the right price are out there.  Took me several months to track down a pair.  Longer to find NOS rockers & outer wheel houses.

The NOS sheet metal was not cheap.  I needed full quarters to fix a hack job somebody else did.  I had no choice.  Once I was into it I found I needed other metal...

Keep looking, full quarters are out there.  you have to keep looking on the 'net & be patient.
76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
A big hearty Thank You to Bobg  for coming through with sheet metal that goes between the rear of the quarter & the tail pan, behind the tail lights. Very cool guy.

Its been a very trying couple weeks.  In my test fitting sheetmetal, I have had problems getting my trunk lid & quarter lines right.  Not to mention hanging doors & adjusting them by myself.  Added to the fact that I have no idea what I am/was doing. Bit I am happy to report its coming together.

I welded in both rockers.  Welded in both wheel houses.  welded in both trunk drop offs.  This is where I had probs with my trunk lines. I fought it for 2 weeks.  I was so frustrated to the point I was looking for another donor shell.  I just needed to move the trunk 1/8" to the right.  I was out of adjustment...

Come to find out after alot of head & butt scratching that i had a slightly bent hinge.  A little heat and I am back in business.

Painted under both quarters with epoxy.  The paint I am using I mix 50-50 black & red oxide & it comes out a perfect match for pontiac (GM) brown.

Today I started welding in the quarters.  That is where I am now with the sheetmetal.

Ordered a set of Tri_Y headers.  I was nervous, but Ron came through.  There are at the coaters now getting a ceramic coating inside & out.  I will be mating them up to a set of Pypes Transverse Muffler system.

Still ALOT to do.  I can't see the light at the other end of the tunnel yet, but I can see the sign for the tunnel!  LOL

That is all for now.  Peace out...

Stan

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
Looking good Stan, excellent work!
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline shank0668

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
This is probably stupid, but how do you paint the inside of a panel and weld it?

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2012, 06:13:07 AM »
This is probably stupid, but how do you paint the inside of a panel and weld it?

Shank,

The gold paint is weld thru primer.  It is suppose to flow around the weld after you are done welding.  Dono if it works, but I am trying to do the best with what info I am able to come up with.

Stan

Offline shank0668

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »

Shank,

The gold paint is weld thru primer.  It is suppose to flow around the weld after you are done welding.  Dono if it works, but I am trying to do the best with what info I am able to come up with.

Stan

Cool I was wondering.
Thanks!

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
Another milestone has been crossed....

One more day of welding & dressing of said welds & the shell sheet metal will be done.  Too bad I ran out of gas for my MIG. 

I thot I would throw in a pic of the tail end, mocked up.

After my welding is done I will start media blasting the underneath.  Then a coupla coats of epoxy primer.  Move to the interior area for some blasting & epoxy. Then I head on to prepping the shell for its coat of epoxy.

Till I have more to show...

Stan

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »
Update:

I am having a heck of a time getting various paints for this build.  Most notably correct interior blue & correct engine paint.

After many trips locally, I finally ordered my engine paint from  Bill Hirsch Auto.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART&variation=PON%20M%20BL%20L 

The interior blue has been a pain also.  Dupont finally came through.  White is a no brainer.  The blue was way off.  He spent an hour tweaking the formula to come close to the blue I needed.  At a 100 toads a quart I was swallowing hard...

I have been seam sealing like crazy.  I am using Kent Flex-E-6000 Non Sag Seam Sealer.  Pricey stuff.  Two local body shops said this is the best.  That was good enough for me...

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/shared/catalogimages/kentj/p10000j/p10491gp1.jpg

Yanked the subframe & painted it.  I was lucky the nut keepers held.  Quite a job for 1 person. 

Still kicking around the idea of painting the cowl white (body color).  I dono...

Purchased:

Pypes Traverse exhaust system
solid body mounts
a/c delete heater box
100' Fatmat
more epoxy primer
Door strikers
Aluminum Radiator

That's all for now.  Pics with my next post.

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »
HOPE YOU GOT STAINLESS STRIKERS. TOTALLY STAINLESS HAS THEM FOR  2 frogs and 5 toads. get extra spacer washers.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »
I have to assume no since I only paid 1 frog N 1 toad.

Am I going to be the laughing stock of the pond now?  :o

I didn't realize that frogs were more expensive than toads.  Stands to reason since you usually end up swimming to catch them!

Stan

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »
I thought  sheet metal work was rough.  That pales in comparison to making a panel straight.  My fingers, eyes & hands are not singing the same song...

Offline Elz

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
I thought  sheet metal work was rough.  That pales in comparison to making a panel straight.  My fingers, eyes & hands are not singing the same song...

Stan, try guide coating your filler you are trying to straighten. Saves some guess work and you can see every scratch and low spot. Also long diagonal strokes making and x motion over your work with an air board/idiot stick will work wonders for you.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »

Stan, try guide coating your filler you are trying to straighten. Saves some guess work and you can see every scratch and low spot. Also long diagonal strokes making and x motion over your work with an air board/idiot stick will work wonders for you.

I have guide coat.  Not used it yet.  Prob is that my epoxy is black.  Wont help until I get the high build primer on & then I will guide coat it.  Although I guess I could guide coat the filler...  Right now I am trying to get it somewhat straight (ie just a small wave at ya!), shoot it with epoxy again (bare metal) then my primer.

I bought Durablocks.  Waiting on the 16 incher to come in.  I might spring for the 30 incher.  Time will tell. 

What I ended up doing was block my black epoxy with 320 lightly.  The "divots" show up pretty good.  But I have one door that's being a PITA.

X motion, 10-4 good buddy!  I have looked at videos, read online "how to" articles.  Nothing takes the place of hands on experience. 

just another step to learn in the restoration!  How many steps are there?  ;)