Author Topic: 1979 Trans Am  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Trans Am Kid

1979 Trans Am
« on: September 03, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
Bought her a few years ago, managed to get it stripped down in the first year.

would like to save her considering its a Special Edition and the 6.6L Olds 403, but the 403 is seized and full of water......

Here's what I'm contending with.....
1979 Trans Am - Special Edition- Under Reno

Offline Trans Am Kid

Re: 1979 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:46:14 AM »
well, I'm having issues with the site putting up pics, Photobucket is just straight up confusing.....

I'm at the point of getting ready to split the body and front sub.. I have a replacement engine for my T/A.
Figured id go pro tour... all the original driveline is too far gone.

Picked up a Vortec 6000 LQ4 engine, Harness and ECM for $200.

I already made the harness into a stand alone 3 or 4 wire connection depending on how you look at it.

going to be bolting it to a T56 6 spd, this car will see the province after I'm finished building it, Old school muscle look with modern fuel eco.... cant argue with that.

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »
olds 403

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
Interior

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
Pass side floor rot

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »
anyone post on these forums anymore?

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 11:36:08 PM »
People look at threads like this to see what you're doing but unless you ask a question many will just take a look and move on. I've done it a couple times since you started the thread. Keep at it!
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »
any idea how to use photo bucket? I cant figure out on how to put up more than 1 pics at time....

my T/A is nothing but a bare shell and front sub frame, just don't want to post like 25 separate posts for each pic lol

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
The way I do it is by copying and pasting the "IMG" link from photobucket into the text box here.

With windows
go to your bucket or an album in your bucket.
Hover curser over a pic
left click on the 3 bars in upper left of a pic
left click share
left click the "IMG" link  in the bar and you should get a response that says "copied"
come here and right click in the text box
left click on paste and the link should be put in the text box here so it'll show up as a full pic
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »

Sad a** Olds 403 that was a fountain when I pulled the plugs.... later found out was seized... started shopping for different engine.
found a 2004 LQ4 6.0L truck engine with ECU and complete harness for $200... couldn't pass that up

Thank you "Not a TA" for the explaination of photobucket use lol !

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 11:14:10 AM »
Now that I got this photobucket thing figured out with help lol....

Ill upload the pictures I have of all the cancer that this 79' has....
Interior passenger side

Only Bit of Rot on Drivers side, Drivers rear pass seat belt came out without unbolting it from the rust lol.

Rear passenger quarter and both front fenders are rusted through, will be replaced.

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
Pulled front end apart

Got the old 403 ready to be pulled

Yanked out the 403, Cleaned out the subframe.

Stripped down 6.0L, depinned factory harness, made it a Stand alone 3 wire connection.

Now it sits on the stand waiting for the new oil pan and engine mounts so I can set it into the car.
now to find a T56 transmission to go into the car.

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
I would consider pulling the sub frame and dealing with rust issues before putting the engine in. Based on your pics I suspect the body mount brackets welded on the sub frame under the cowl probably need repair and repairing the floor section where the upper body mount bracket is welded to the floor pan would be easier without the sub frame in place.

Also based on your pics, although a leaking heater core caused a lot of the rust in the front passenger foot well I believe the upper cowl is probably rusted through at the lower corner of the windshield and/or the kick panel vent was leaking. I'd pull that kick panel (being careful not to break off the skinny part) and follow the trail the leak left.

While on a rust hunt before getting too deep I'd look at the rear frame rails and poke them hard with an awl particularly near where the leaf spring pockets are. The other areas like the tail panel, rear window channel, and trunk lip are easier repairs but the rear frame rail/ spring pocket area is a pain without a rotisserie.

With the rust you've got in the floor and what appears to be a T top car you'll need to be careful not to buckle the car as you cut out rusty sections. You may want to weld in supports before getting too much deeper.

I've dealt with all these issues and many more doing restorations, pro touring builds, etc.  If you're going to build a car you'll be confident to tour around the province in, you need to start with a solid frame, body mounts, floor pan,  etc.  While it's more fun to drop in the LQ and drive train you don't want the car to twist up like a pretzel when you're finished.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,

Offline Trans Am Kid

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »
i was planning on splitting the sub frame and body. sending body to local Resto shop to handle the metal replacement, this way I don't tweek the body and have a twist in it.

the frame rails are rusting through, the leaf torque boxes are rusted out... front seat kick panel and firewall will be replaced.

the leaks came from the T's not being locked and the car sat low on the passenger side, which probably explains the rust build up in the pass floor and kick panels.

Rockers are solid, I agree with the mounts under the floor will be replaced, the front mounts look good, no signs of rust.

Sub frame connectors will be going in to help with the twist from the LQ.

sounds like there is a ton of experience that you could offer. I'm open to tips and tricks. this wont be my only resto