Author Topic: Swapping a 77 400 4 speed into a 71 Lemans.......  (Read 801 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Swapping a 77 400 4 speed into a 71 Lemans.......
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »
I have a 71 Lemans Sport project car that I'm playing with. I recently scored a complete 77 Pontiac 400 with a saginaw 4 speed transmission and everything needed to put it into a Trans Am for $100. The engine in my 78 TA is just fine so I thought I'd stick this 400 and 4 speed in the Lemans. Anyone done this or something similar.

I know I'll need a new longer drive shaft but I'll just measure for that once the engine and tranny are in place. I'll locate the hole in the floor for the shifter once the eng and tranny are in place as well but I gotta get the engine in position first so........

1. What frame mounts and motor mounts should I use? From what I think I understand about Pontiac engines, there is no big block or small block. So does that mean that the frame and motor mounts are all the same from 350's thru 455's?

2. The Z bar from the TA is way too long/wide so I know I'll have to get a 71 Lemans Z bar. Anybody out there got a Pontiac A body Z bar laying around?

Thanks for any info.

Randy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:32:12 AM by 78ta »
Randy