18 (48.6%)
Rallye IIs rule!
2 (5.4%)
Put 18" rims on it
4 (10.8%)
Undecided
1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Turbines vs. honeycombs...decisions, decisions  (Read 12860 times)

Offline Tinman5

Turbines vs. honeycombs...decisions, decisions
« on: November 11, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »
Hey, everyone...

A few years back, I temporarily retired the original gold honeycombs on my 1976 50th Anniversary T/A.  They're in fine shape physically, just in need of a restoration from too many years of road rash causing the paint adhesion to fail.  As I was having difficulty finding the time to do the restoration myself and no luck finding someone I would trust to do it, I purchased a set of turbine wheels and had them refinished in gold so I could get the car back on the road.

The more I drive the car, the more I like the look of the turbines.  I'm pretty sure they are significantly lighter and (although it may just be my imagination or wishful thinking) seem to help improve the handling.  The car has 79K original miles and is pretty unmolested and original...it was restored (read:  painted and new decals) once in 1992 prior to me purchasing the car.  My plan is to take it on the Bandit Run II and then have a professional restoration done upon my return.

So here are one "before" and three "after" photographs (yeah, I'm pretty lousy with a camera).  I'm taking a straw poll:  After the restoration, should I keep the turbines for daily driving and just save the honeycombs for those car events when originality is paramount?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Puzzled in Plano (Tinman 5)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline imaloser

Re: Turbines vs. honeycombs...decisions, decisions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:36:09 PM »
I actually do like the turbines on it but would put the honeycomb on for shows.  :D

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:46:44 PM »
I agree that the turbo's look good on the car but I don't think any rim is gonna' contribute to the overall vintage appeal of that bird like the honeycombs do...they have an awesome look to them.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline folzinal

• -Ryan
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:47:12 PM »
Personally I think any 2nd gen TA wheels look good on any 2nd gen provided they compliment the rest of the car.  I too think they look nice and as long as you have the honeycombs to put it back, do what you like - it's your car.  Although...the honeycomb wheels seem to complete the LE package.  Did that help ???

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »
Hmmm...so that's a quick "yes" vote from Mississippi (thanks, CC!) and I'll put Indiana and Ohio down as "undecideds".  How about the other forty-seven states?

Tinman5

1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »
I like the idea of running the turbines for cruising and using the honeycombs for shows.  Nice looking car by the way.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
I'll agree with the rest looks good either way ,use the honeys for shows.
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:30 AM »
Someone make this into a thread with the poll at the top for Tinman5.

My vote, honeycombs, the turbines don't fit the era in my view.  Sell the turbines and just use the honeycombs.
Rich

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 06:36:39 AM »
Someone make this into a thread with the poll at the top for Tinman5.

My vote, honeycombs, the turbines don't fit the era in my view.  Sell the turbines and just use the honeycombs.

ditto that......the honeycombs are much harder to come by, id keep them on
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:59 AM »
I'd vote for the Honeycombs - the turbines just don't seem to fit the era on this particular car. The turbines fit the look of the 79 & up better...

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 08:08:35 AM »
I am surprised Hammer hasn't weighed in on this one.  Oh wait..... there he is.... comatose on the floor... seems the turbines gave him a heart attack or something.   Anyways (I don't think it's that serious)  I'm not a big fan of the turbine rims, I like the honeycombs much better.
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »
Oh geeze...that last pic...TAs and Dr. Pepper...where's Jeri? ??? ???

Anyway, while the turbines are done nicely, they really don't fit with that year car like the honeycombs do.  But that wasn't your question -- I think you know that already -- your question was "do I use the turbines for getting around and save the honeycombs for events?".  I'd say yes to that -- because you don't want the honeycombs getting beaten up.

But if you're thinking that way, you'll probably evolve to the point where you'd rather have the honeycombs on it all the time because if you have it restored my *guess* is that you'll begin to treat the entire car the way you think of the honeycombs now -- don't wanna see 'em get beat up. ;)

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
Oh geeze...that last pic...TAs and Dr. Pepper...where's Jeri? ??? ???

Anyway, while the turbines are done nicely, they really don't fit with that year car like the honeycombs do.  But that wasn't your question -- I think you know that already -- your question was "do I use the turbines for getting around and save the honeycombs for events?".  I'd say yes to that -- because you don't want the honeycombs getting beaten up.

But if you're thinking that way, you'll probably evolve to the point where you'd rather have the honeycombs on it all the time because if you have it restored my *guess* is that you'll begin to treat the entire car the way you think of the honeycombs now -- don't wanna see 'em get beat up. ;)

Rick--

Yeah, you're reading my mind.  I still see honeycombs out there for sale, but good quality ones are getting hard to find.  Since the honeycombs I have are in good physical condition (just look like they have a bad sunburn from the peeling paint), I'm trying to err on the side of caution to protect them as much as possible.

I'm facing the classic dilema most of us face at one point or another:  Do I restore the car to concours level quality so it becomes a museum show piece I'm hesitant to drive or do I just live with flaws, retire the honeycombs for special duty, and continue to drive the car whenever and wherever possible?

Interesting side note, the turbines do show nicer "in person" than in the photographs and the vast majority of people inclusive of those in the local Pontiac clubs down here like the look.  I consider myself leaning more towards the "keep it original--purest" perspective, but the turbines have grown on me for daily use.  Just wanted to open it up to a wider audience to get a concensus.   

Tinman5

1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
I'm going against the wave here.  I think the picture with the turbine wheels looks awesome, and that's the way I'd drive it if it was my car, but would desire to go back to the honey combs for show purposes.

I tend to agree with you that the car may seem to handle somewhat better because the honey comb is know to be a heavy wheel, compared to the later aluminum wheels.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline logikfive

• http://www.myspace.com/logikfive
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
I prefer the Honeycomb over the turbines, but I prefer the Rally II's over the Honeycombs.

'88 Conquest 2.6L/Turbo @22psi | '99 Durango 5.9L SLT Supercharged @8psi
'76 Trans Am 462ci | '78 Trans Am 455