Author Topic: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am  (Read 35822 times)

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
Re: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
Sorry to hear man. Wish i had a solution for you. Hang in there, you'll get it figured out.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »
Wow man. That really sucks. Stick with it. You'll figure it out. Don't let this bring you down.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2012, 02:44:27 AM »
Where is the vacuum to the modulator coming from. Could high RPM's increase vacuum in such a manner that it pops the modulator. Try changing the source of the vacuum if there is a port that doesnt produce as much vacuum.

Im not sure if thats an option. But was a thought I wanted to share.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »
Don't give up, I did that with one of my cars I thought I had tried everything and it was a pushrod tip.  It was broken but still sitting on the pushrod so I couldnt get an accurate adjustment.  Talk about kicking myself in the A$$!

Offline Striker

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:16 AM »
Are you sure it is trans fluid and not antifreeze/water? Does the engine oil look ok, is there any traces of milkiness? If the modulator was leaking badly there could still be traces in the muffler that are burning off especially during higher rpm and forced out heavier with increased exhaust pressure.I would think the trans fluid would be more blue though.
Yeah, It is def Trans Fluid. After the modulator was replaced, I drove it locally for about 50 miles, then jumped on expressway, and Bam Same result. I wold assume it would have all burned off long before I took it back on the expressway?

Engine Oil is VEry Clean, and full. Coolant is Full as well. Trans was a 1/2 qt low. This happened after 6pm, so I will be calling the shop again this morning. I am getting sick of every time I take it out, something else breaks.
1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline mr71transam

• Member Charter Oak Firebirds
    • Charter Oak Firebird Car Club
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:26 AM »
After you get the car home and let it sit a few days. Do you have any fluid pooling under the car. If so what is it transmission or coolant?

I’ve had both types with my 71 Trans Am. The transmission leak looked like it was leaking around the Modulator, but in fact it turned out to be the transmission cooling lines. They were actually leaking where the lines connected to the transmission. Over time they had gotten a little lose. Are you losing transmission fluid?

The coolant leak was where the heater hose connects to the passenger side head. it would only start to leak after the car warmed up and the pressure built-up. Is your radiator level dropping? Are you losing coolant?

Offline Striker

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »
After you get the car home and let it sit a few days. Do you have any fluid pooling under the car. If so what is it transmission or coolant?

I’ve had both types with my 71 Trans Am. The transmission leak looked like it was leaking around the Modulator, but in fact it turned out to be the transmission cooling lines. They were actually leaking where the lines connected to the transmission. Over time they had gotten a little lose. Are you losing transmission fluid?

The coolant leak was where the heater hose connects to the passenger side head. it would only start to leak after the car warmed up and the pressure built-up. Is your radiator level dropping? Are you losing coolant?

When the car Sits, it does not leak any fluid at all. The Radiator is full, but the trans fluid was a little low only after it smoked. After the car smoked out, it drove home fine with no smoke, but I kept it under 2500 RPM. Is there another part the would be pulling the trans fluid through the exhaust manifold? Its def coming from the tailpipes. Thanks for the response, and help! I really want to get this car running.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »
The vacuum line is pulling the fluid from the modulator through the vacuum line and into the intake. Depending on where your port is on the intake its probably sucking it into cylinder #8 and burning the fluid. Making it smoke like a "Texas Skeeter Killer"

It happens. Theres only a few reasons it can happen

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
Where is the vacuum to the modulator coming from. Could high RPM's increase vacuum in such a manner that it pops the modulator. Try changing the source of the vacuum if there is a port that doesnt produce as much vacuum.

Im not sure if thats an option. But was a thought I wanted to share.
I was wondering something along these lines, too.
Like too much vacuum collapse a diaphragm?
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline bobg

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »
If original fluid burnt off and it is indeed trans fluid going in the exhaust still, then yes it has to be pulling fluid past the modulator.
79  TATA 400 W72 4spd
79 gold 400 4spd w72 T top
74 superduty 455 4spd
70 Trans am Ram air 4speed

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
If the problem is the modulator, then there will be red transmission fluid in the line from the modulator to the manifold.  Pull the line.  Based on the volume of smoke you describe, if it isn't dripping trans fluid,  the modulator is probably not the problem.  Also, if the diaphram is ruptured, the transmission would not shift.

If the test above points away from the modulator, I would do a compression test on all 8 cylinders.  As mentioned, keep checking the oil looking fro milkiness, choclate milky looking stuff, etc...

Great car.... it's just testing you.  Show it who wears the britches!
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »
Fluid doesnt run uphill from the modulator to the intake on its own. needs vacuum to get it there. Dont believe for a second that lack of visible evidence (fluid dripping from line) will eliminate the modulator.

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Agree fluid won't run up hill... without vacuum... But there would be vacuum if the diaphram is ruptured and fluid can most certainly be "sucked uphill" (see also "drinking straw")....

It would take a lot of oil to make as much smoke as he's talking about, and the possibility of rupturing two modulator diaphrams in a row without seeing any shifting problem seems like a very low probability to me.
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »
If the engine isnt running there will be no vacuum is what I was saying. So as soon as you shut off the engine any fluid in the line will run back down and into the modulator leaving only residue on the inside of the vacuum line. NOT PINTS!

How about take two seconds and explain what you are really trying to say with the see drinking straw comment!

You are sadly mistaken if you think it takes a lot of transmission fluid to make smoke. Try it. We used to start fires with it before EPA regs were invented. Signs of a mispent youth.  ;D

Offline Striker

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
If the problem is the modulator, then there will be red transmission fluid in the line from the modulator to the manifold.  Pull the line.  Based on the volume of smoke you describe, if it isn't dripping trans fluid,  the modulator is probably not the problem.  Also, if the diaphram is ruptured, the transmission would not shift.

If the test above points away from the modulator, I would do a compression test on all 8 cylinders.  As mentioned, keep checking the oil looking fro milkiness, choclate milky looking stuff, etc...

Great car.... it's just testing you.  Show it who wears the britches!

Thanks for the input! I know I am being tested, but I will Eventually win. This is the car I had my heart set on for a long time. The oil looks great as of right now. Not low, and very clean.

If the engine isnt running there will be no vacuum is what I was saying. So as soon as you shut off the engine any fluid in the line will run back down and into the modulator leaving only residue on the inside of the vacuum line. NOT PINTS!

How about take two seconds and explain what you are really trying to say with the see drinking straw comment!

You are sadly mistaken if you think it takes a lot of transmission fluid to make smoke. Try it. We used to start fires with it before EPA regs were invented. Signs of a mispent youth.  ;D

The first time there was a TON of smoke. The second time was Much much less, and I got a little bit further. I called the shop, and he said there may have been some "unburnt" fluid on the bottom of maifold that was not burning off driving locally because it never got hot enough. He said at the higher rpm, it gets hotter so it may burn the rest off. I was able to drive it back home at 40-45 mph w no more smoke. We will see what happens. What do you think about his theory?

Thanks