Author Topic: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am  (Read 35624 times)

Offline Striker

Re: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
I doubt it's Trans fluid, at 4000 rpm the heat produced I. The headers/manifolds alone would burn it, if it's all the way back to your muffler then it is more likely to have poured a qt in the exhaust system on an uphill slope

There is def trans fluid coating the exterior of the muffler in the pictures. But for some reason, it only smokes when letting off the throttle at 3500 RPM and higher. The vac lines to the modulator are clean as well.

I guess I am 99% sure there is fluid in the muffler, but idk why it wouldnt smoke when I accelerate? Only smokes on deceleration?
1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
Didn't you just buy this car? How long did it sit? How long had the person you bought it from owned it? How many miles have you driven the car since you bought it. Was it hard to start or smoke any on the first start ups?

Is it possible the previous owners/owners poured something in the cylinders to prevent the engine from seizing while in storage and it has now collected in the lowest part of the exhaust? Lets put the modulator to bed. place an inline fuel filter between the modulator and vacuum connection on the intake. If the modulator is being comprised the see through inline filter will have trans fluid in it. Also, check # 8 spark plug and tell me if it is wet! No fluid.... next test!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Striker

« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Didn't you just buy this car? How long did it sit? How long had the person you bought it from owned it? How many miles have you driven the car since you bought it. Was it hard to start or smoke any on the first start ups?

Is it possible the previous owners/owners poured something in the cylinders to prevent the engine from seizing while in storage and it has now collected in the lowest part of the exhaust? Lets put the modulator to bed. place an inline fuel filter between the modulator and vacuum connection on the intake. If the modulator is being comprised the see through inline filter will have trans fluid in it. Also, check # 8 spark plug and tell me if it is wet! No fluid.... next test!

Yes, I bought the car Feb 15th, and drove it for 1-2 days before the fire. Then was in the shop for 4-5 weeks, and just got it back Last monday, and 2 days later the first smoke started. 
The owner had it sitting all winter before I bought it, so I would say about 4-5 months.
No smoke on startups, and is not hard to start. The total miles ive driven is probably around 300-400.

I will check spark plug #8 when I get home later tonight! Thanks!!!

Offline Striker

« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
OK, Spark Plug #8 is Dry.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Well if #8 is dry, no fluid levels are getting low and the trans is shifting normally I'd clean up everything underneath and take it for a long interstate drive. Id also keep a close check on gauges and stop occasionaly to check trans fluid levels. It may just be leftover from the modulator incident. But it sure looked like a lot of fluid.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
Clean the muffler out too. Don't want to pollute the  air. :)
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Striker

« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Well if #8 is dry, no fluid levels are getting low and the trans is shifting normally I'd clean up everything underneath and take it for a long interstate drive. Id also keep a close check on gauges and stop occasionaly to check trans fluid levels. It may just be leftover from the modulator incident. But it sure looked like a lot of fluid.

I drilled a little hole in the muffler, but nothing seemed to come out yet. Maybe once I start the car, or drive it a few min. I think I will take it on a little drive today, and Keep Jumping on it and see if it gets any better. Trans Shifts fine, fluids are good, and engine sounds great.

The fluid that was "leaking" by the muffler is burnt black fluid, and on the inside of the tailpipes, there is a VERY THICK coating of black burnt fluid, so hopefully it just burns off and goes away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:16:36 AM by Striker »

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »
i bet you are just running rich, and the black "fluid" is condensation buildup.... anywhere in the exhaust you are leaking is going to be an exhaust leak....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Striker

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »
i bet you are just running rich, and the black "fluid" is condensation buildup.... anywhere in the exhaust you are leaking is going to be an exhaust leak....

I drilled a little hole in the muffler and took the car out and Ran it HARD 9 passes up to 85mph. It smoked 3 times, where as before it would be every time. It also appeared to be less smoke. After the car sat, there was def a little burnt fluid drip from the muffler, so I think (HOPE) it is just pooled in the muffler and getting better.
All my fluid levels are still clean and full, and I also put a "filter" in the vac and no trans fluid appears to be on it.  :) 
We willl see what happens over the Weekend!!  Thanks to everyone for the replys!

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
lol yeah looks rich to me.  LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT, NO
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »
Y'all are being stupid, think about it, when have you EVER heard of an oil going to the muffler in the exhaust system, unless you poured a bottle in it and we're parked on a steep grade, or pumped straight fluid through the engine WITHOUT it running which would cause more damage than move fluid then it's impossible!
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
Y'all are being stupid, think about it, when have you EVER heard of an oil going to the muffler in the exhaust system, unless you poured a bottle in it and we're parked on a steep grade, or pumped straight fluid through the engine WITHOUT it running which would cause more damage than move fluid then it's impossible!
just look at the pic and anyone can see it is not carbon nor condensation, sorry
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Striker

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
The first time there was smoke, my modulator def went bad, so that would be the reason the fluid got into the exhaust. My mechanic replaced it and showed me the defective piece. I am taking my car to another well respected mechanic about 40 min away tmrw, so I hope to have more info then. Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:06:33 PM by Striker »

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
just look at the pic and anyone can see it is not carbon nor condensation, sorry

Looks like the blinker fluid dripped into the muffler causing the muffler bearig to malfunction. This would explain the pic of muffler and the smoking only at deceleration.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Striker

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »

Thanks Tin. I did Try the Filter like you suggested and it was clean. The smoke def got thinner, and eventually went away with the filter on though. I think it was you earlier who said maybe there was too much Vac, which could suck some fluid through the line? I am pretty sure the filter is "restricting" a little suction, but could that be restricting it enough to not suck the fluid through? 
If so, is there a way to adjust how much suction is in the lines? 

Please forgive me for my arrogance. I am new to this, and trying to learn as I go. Thanks

Ryan