Author Topic: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am  (Read 35760 times)

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
Be happy to, lets see your on the Southside and I'm in the far west burbs, Chicago is really BIG.   

But this defeats what I'm talking about.  Get a Chiltons go to Sears and get a compresion gauge and do it.

joe d I'm on my way to your hood to play some hockey on Wed to Mon.
You are coming to Florida to play hockey? be glad to meet you
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »

Thanks Norwood! I know I am "Stupid" at this stuff, but I will learn one day haha!  I am pretty sure my mechanic explained things correctly, but Its honestly all over my head at this point. I wish I knew more, and in time I will. Thanks again and I hope to see you at some of the shows this year!

Ryan

Whoa there boss. Nobody was born knowing. Everybody has to learn. Thats what we're here for, to help teach you and point you in the right direction. Sounds to me like you got a steeper than normal learning curve to climb, but it can be done. Not to worry. We'll get you headed in the right direction. ;D

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
Be happy to, lets see your on the Southside and I'm in the far west burbs, Chicago is really BIG.   

But this defeats what I'm talking about.  Get a Chiltons go to Sears and get a compresion gauge and do it.

I sort of thought the go drive it advice (for like an hour or so at highway speeds) might cover the distance. Oh well, was just a thought. If he'd drive/tow it to MD I'd be more than happy to help him do a compression check and troubleshoot anything else. I'm not so sure that advising him to go buy a book and some tools is the answer. Some time with a hands on mechanic would probably be a good place to start.

Mr Striker I apologize for the mental break we took during your dilema. Sometimes you just have to step back from a problem and have a cigarette, a coffee, a brew, whatever it takes to laugh at yourself and then refocus and start again. The reason I asked specific questions was to check your involvement with the mechanic. I wanted to know if you were watching over his shoulder (trying to learn) or simply a "I'll drop the key in the box please call when its ready guy."

Unfortunately I don't think I can help you any further with your problem. Matter of fact, Im not sure if you even still have a problem! You may be dealing with leftovers from the busted modulator. If by chance you and the car are in my area I'll be glad to come take a look with you and see what we can uncover. Best of luck with your two beautiful cars.

I'm now going to do what I said earlier and turn this over to the guys that wanna/can help you.

What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Striker

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

Thanks Norwood! I know I am "Stupid" at this stuff, but I will learn one day haha!  I am pretty sure my mechanic explained things correctly, but Its honestly all over my head at this point. I wish I knew more, and in time I will. Thanks again and I hope to see you at some of the shows this year!

Ryan

Whoa there boss. Nobody was born knowing. Everybody has to learn. Thats what we're here for, to help teach you and point you in the right direction. Sounds to me like you got a steeper than normal learning curve to climb, but it can be done. Not to worry. We'll get you headed in the right direction. ;D

Gunner
Thanks Gunner!!

I sort of thought the go drive it advice (for like an hour or so at highway speeds) might cover the distance. Oh well, was just a thought. If he'd drive/tow it to MD I'd be more than happy to help him do a compression check and troubleshoot anything else. I'm not so sure that advising him to go buy a book and some tools is the answer. Some time with a hands on mechanic would probably be a good place to start.

Mr Striker I apologize for the mental break we took during your dilema. Sometimes you just have to step back from a problem and have a cigarette, a coffee, a brew, whatever it takes to laugh at yourself and then refocus and start again. The reason I asked specific questions was to check your involvement with the mechanic. I wanted to know if you were watching over his shoulder (trying to learn) or simply a "I'll drop the key in the box please call when its ready guy."

Unfortunately I don't think I can help you any further with your problem. Matter of fact, Im not sure if you even still have a problem! You may be dealing with leftovers from the busted modulator. If by chance you and the car are in my area I'll be glad to come take a look with you and see what we can uncover. Best of luck with your two beautiful cars.

I'm now going to do what I said earlier and turn this over to the guys that wanna/can help you.

Thank you So Much Tin and Norwood. I am looking forward to meeting you this Summer! I love this place and know the members here know a lot about their cars, and I respect everyones opinion. There is no reason to apologize for anything. Sometimes the best cure for a problem is to laugh and joke about it. Trust me, I have made fun of the problem to some friends too. My buddy has a Mustang, and I told him I would Smoke him...literally :)   You need to have a sense of humor when all else fails and just keep pushing through. I realy do appreciate all the advice and replys I got. It says a lot about the members wanting to help a situation.

1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
HOLD UP THERE NORWOOD!  Before you start throwing stones.  NO ONE was making fun of him for any reason.  It was more just trying to add some humor to the situation.  I know how frustrating these types of situations can be and ya have to find humor in it all before ya go mad.  So if someone took the posts as offensive then sorry, no harm was meant.

For the record I am also very ignorant on cars.  Heck I am taking my headers off and nervous on lifting the motor up a few inches.  I have removed a motor but it was already broke, I don't want to break the good one!
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »
i think if you remove the muffler and bearing your headers will fall out, piece of cake
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »
Ok Norwood since you are offering, Give a Simpletons version of the compression test.  When I did mine I didn't unhook the Ignition?  And it proceeded to start? LOL  I never made fun of him and I believe the people who were truly trying to help wouldn't do that!  If I knew him However I would give him S$%& All Day Long!  But then I would help him!  So lets get this like alot of other problems we've covered with EVERYONES Cars on here figured out and let this Guy ENJOY HIS RIDE!   :D  Note to Striker: like suggested stay with the same mechanic so things aren't repeated unnecessarily(If Possible).  Also Keep a very detailed journal so you can reference any issues or behaviors of the vehicle!

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
Ok Norwood since you are offering, Give a Simpletons version of the compression test.  When I did mine I didn't unhook the Ignition?  And it proceeded to start? LOL  I never made fun of him and I believe the people who were truly trying to help wouldn't do that!  If I knew him However I would give him S$%& All Day Long!  But then I would help him!  So lets get this like alot of other problems we've covered with EVERYONES Cars on here figured out and let this Guy ENJOY HIS RIDE!   :D  Note to Striker: like suggested stay with the same mechanic so things aren't repeated unnecessarily(If Possible).  Also Keep a very detailed journal so you can reference any issues or behaviors of the vehicle!
i am sorry but i am really laughing my a$$ off, did your engine really start when you did a comp test? i love it and yes you are 100% right we/i really want to get this kid on the road safe and sound so he can enjoy that beautiful t/a
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline norwood

« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
HOLD UP THERE NORWOOD!  Before you start throwing stones. 

No stones here, I just said that I was surprised at some of the answers and I am.  This kid has a ton invested here and some think that their weak effort at comedy helps, I don't think he is laughing, to each his own.  This was my first post on these problems and I stated  what I would do which is the logical thing. If that OFFENDS anyone who posted previously maybe they should look at what they posted to help this kid.    By the way Its easy to offer your personal help when your 1500 miles away isn't it. 

What I  offer and do for this hobby go along way into saying what I am and I stand on my record.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
hmmmm....see this is where I would insert JOKE. Getting a little tense in here. I myself have had tons(as I am sure most here have) issues with just about every car I have owned. Everyone I knew during my learning process of these have made similar jokes to me and honestly it cleared my head. I was actually just looking at a thread I started here over 3 years ago about some electrical issues I was having with my dash harness. I actually had to read it out loud to my wife so we could both laugh and the STUPID questions I was asking. I am only 26 and am still asking quite a few questions. I learned to write stuff down as i go now. I now slow down and label and bag things as I take them apart. Jokes were made to lighten the mood. Striker seems like a young guy who likes to have fun and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty either. Glad he is interested and taking part. I would also suggest having someone there to guide him as well just in case while he was "learning on the job" something happened and there was someone there to quickly handle the situation. So someone offering their helping hand but being too far away to be there physically should not be held against them .
  Take it from me. When I lived in PA Tin Indian helped me through email,Phone calls,pictures,wiring schematics,selling me parts I needed for a super low price and even driving over half way just to meet up and BS with me in a parking lot for over and hour. He is still helping me on my car daily and I am now 2900 miles away. So I would seriously consider taking his help when he offers it. Also he helped me tear apart my first 400 while on the phone and knew the size sockets and wrenches needed. So he knows his sh*t.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »
hmmmm....see this is where I would insert JOKE. Getting a little tense in here. I myself have had tons(as I am sure most here have) issues with just about every car I have owned.

YOU'VE had issues? I've gone through two and am starting on my third in a year and a half ;D

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »
hmmmm....see this is where I would insert JOKE. Getting a little tense in here. I myself have had tons(as I am sure most here have) issues with just about every car I have owned.

YOU'VE had issues? I've gone through two and am starting on my third in a year and a half ;D

Gunner
We can't all be so lucky Gunner. You are the exception to the rule.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »
Hi Ryan,
The only place where auto trans fluid comes into contact with the engine is inside the radiator, where the coolant passes through the radiator to be cooled. If the line inside the radiator were cracked, it would enter the coolant and contaminate it. But if burnt trans fluid is found coating the inside of the exhaust that would suggest to me that someone poured some of it down the carb while the engine was running. Not the smartest thing to do, but it will eventually burn off.

An engine built for drag isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless the cam they chose is too lopey and radical to run your power brakes. Other than that the engine internals and major engine parts like the block and heads would be similar to a street engine. Drag racers often build their engines to make power at a higher rpm, so if you have a single plane intake I would swap that out for a dual plane to get better low rpm torque. Full roller rockers are also louder that roller tip or stock rockers- I've had a few customers complain that full roller rockers were too noisy. A switch to roller tip rockers usually solves that issue.

Feel free to PM me if you have any engine questions- I've been building ponchos for over 22 years, so it's safe to say I do know them.

Geno

Offline Striker

« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Thanks again Everyone! It seems all the Trans Fluid has finally burned out of the exhaust! When Sticking finger in the tailpipes, they are clean again! They were Very Oily and coated. I have driven the car over 400 miles over the past 4-5 Days, and It def seems a lot better, so We will see what happens!!
1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
Thanks again Everyone! It seems all the Trans Fluid has finally burned out of the exhaust! When Sticking finger in the tailpipes, they are clean again! They were Very Oily and coated. I have driven the car over 400 miles over the past 4-5 Days, and It def seems a lot better, so We will see what happens!!
that is great news. Now enjoy that beauty and dont worry about a thing and i would not detune it either as long as you are happy with it
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo