Author Topic: weird gremlin  (Read 2616 times)

Offline formula462

weird gremlin
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »
Our Formula 77 has developed a strange problem. It will start and run great but after a time it just quits,no electrical.
After it sits(sometimes hours,sometimes couple days)it will start and run fine then the cycle starts over. WTH
Any thoughts?

Offline Amtrak

weird gremlin
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:51:49 PM »
Check the fusible links coming off the starter wire and check the red wire coming off back of the alternator to it termination point in the car and the bulkhead plug behind the fuse box has all the wireing conections between the motor compartment and the inside car wiring there could be a problem there due to corrosion remember these cars are 30 plus years old.....finally replace the ignition switch on top of the steering column if all else fails     have fun!!!!!!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
weird gremlin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58:05 PM »
You need to check out what's happening with the voltage when this happens.  Do you get +12 VDC at the cigar lighter?  Do the dome lights come on?  Do the headlights and brakelights work?  Does the radio work?  Do you have +13.5 VDC at the battery when it quits?  To find the problem you need to look at all of these.  Tom's suggestion about the fusible link is a very good idea -- I've seen some crack from age, then vibrate apart and quit, then when it cools off they will make contact again and start working again.  As nuts as that sounds, age DOES make a difference with this stuff.  You just need a multimeter, some time to think, and the opportunity to measure it all. :?

Offline formula462

weird gremlin
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
thanks for the replies and will look at all of those suggestions. hard to think in terms of how old the car is. as i well know time will break anything down.

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
intermittant...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:51:58 AM »
No doubt about it... Bad Flux Capacitor! <grin>

Seriously, in the simplest terms you have a serious and
total intermittant connection.

Somewhere the big wires on your car don't connect.

- Battery cable connections
 - Battery cables

I'd jiggle/move the big wires while it's running to see where/what
does it.

Do you have a DVM? or a test light?

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
weird gremlin
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »
Might also suggest your neutral safety mechanism (if automatic). It could be just enough out to not work one day and work the next.

I found this out the hard way as I didn't even have it hooked up and with a fresh battery I got nada. Went under the hood and played with the ear on the steering column until I got it in the right position. Gotta take the time to hook that up right as right now the car can start in gear if you're crazy enough to try it...

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone