Author Topic: Another snowflake rim color question??  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
Re: Another snowflake rim color question??
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
I don't think you'd be able to get the paint to reach all the outer surfaces from the backside.
Steve F.

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 08:00:55 PM »
I don't think you'd be able to get the paint to reach all the outer surfaces from the backside.

I agree...I just went to take a look and you wouldn't have a good angle to get total coverage. 

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »
so just mask off and take a razor and cut all the over hanging taper off? better to take tape off when paint is wet or maybe tacky so it doesnt stick to paint?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
so just mask off and take a razor and cut all the over hanging taper off? better to take tape off when paint is wet or maybe tacky so it doesnt stick to paint?

From what I have been told.  You do not need to tape off the spokes.  You can just wipe them clean with laquor thinner.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »
sound messy.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 05:59:34 PM »
sound messy.

Your telling me.  I am going to take on the project this weekend.  I will keep you posted and take a lot of pics. 

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 09:41:13 PM »
I use the wipe clean after paint with thinner.  I do it after each coat of paint.  I do the primer.. then wipe the spokes clean, do the first coat of gold, then wipe the spokes clean, etc.  So, I wipe the spokes clean after all the coats of paint because it is easier that way.  If you wait til the end after all of the coats of paint, yes it takes some time and sometimes tough to do.  But, if you do it after each coat, then it comes off pretty easily.  I usually do one coat of primer, then about four light coats of paint cleaning the spokes off after each coat.  Then the clear.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »
I use the wipe clean after paint with thinner.  I do it after each coat of paint.  I do the primer.. then wipe the spokes clean, do the first coat of gold, then wipe the spokes clean, etc.  So, I wipe the spokes clean after all the coats of paint because it is easier that way.  If you wait til the end after all of the coats of paint, yes it takes some time and sometimes tough to do.  But, if you do it after each coat, then it comes off pretty easily.  I usually do one coat of primer, then about four light coats of paint cleaning the spokes off after each coat.  Then the clear.

Thanks Hitman...How long do you wait after you paint to clean them off?  Right away, when they are tacky or when it had dried?  Also when you applied the multiple coats of paint, do you let each coat dry or do you spray them wet?   

Thanks again for the help!!

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »
I do it right away.  As soon as I am done with the coat on that rim, I wipe it clean, then do the next rim... and so on.  And yes, I wait for each coat to dry (about 30 min) before I do the next coat.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
I do it right away.  As soon as I am done with the coat on that rim, I wipe it clean, then do the next rim... and so on.  And yes, I wait for each coat to dry (about 30 min) before I do the next coat.

Thanks for the help!

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
Well guys...The plan was to get a coat of paint on my rim this weekend.  But it may half to wait, do to me getting my suspension kit in this week.  I will get back to it SOON.  Just very excited about the pro-touring f-body kit.