Author Topic: Engine Wont Start  (Read 7981 times)

Offline oreobadr

Re: Engine Wont Start
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
maybe the plugs r bad or something along those lines.. All i know is im not getting spark and thats the first place imma try
NOS is like a hot girl with an STD. You want to hit it but you are afraid of what might happen.

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
PLUGS AND DISTRIBUTOR CAME IN AND SHE LITERALLY STARTED RIGHT UP.. HOLY JESUS SHE SOUNDS NICE lol just really happy she started up good.. Ill be breaking her in over the weekend.. thanks for all the help guys
NOS is like a hot girl with an STD. You want to hit it but you are afraid of what might happen.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
So lately ive put a MUCH bigger camshaft in my oldsmobile 455 and I wanted to make sure i got it to run before I put it back into my trans am... I have it on a stand and everything connected.... I was attempting to start the engine but i cant get it to run... i know there is spark and gas... I got it to backfire through the carb and headers at one point but now when i crank it over it wont do either... its cranking good and there seems to be a slight white mist out of the carb when i attempt to start the motor... Is the timing like 180 degrees off.. any help is appreciated.

What was the problem with the old distributor? You're original post said you were getting fire? Later you said timing was 180 degrees off and you found a loose wire going into the distributor? I feel like I missed something in trying to help you troubleshoot this. Now that you know the problem...What questions do you think we could've asked sooner to try and isolate your problem more quickly?
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
Well when i checked the first time for spark i only check the first two cylinders.. Like three others lacked spark.. As well as doing compression checks on all 8 to make sure it is a consistent compression

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42:22 AM »
I just want to know hoy the comp. came back from 0?
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
oh i said above i actually had it timed four degrees retarded and thats why there was no compression

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
That wouldnt do anything about comp.
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
well i didnt adjust anything else besides that and i had compression

Offline Chuckles

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
I have a theory here...what if he just kept flooding the engine when trying to start it and washed the cylinder walls down and collapsed the rings? Seen it before.

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
i have compression haha

Offline Chuckles

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
i have compression haha

Yes, you do now but, we're trying to figure out why you didn't before.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »
I've struggled with this over and over and i have to believe that there was an error in troubleshooting. Not saying that oreo didn't do his homework but some piece of testing failed. You simply cannot be void of compression and correct it by moving the timing four degrees. Replacing the distributor will not magically replace missing compression either. Nor will a failing module/coil/pickup coil randomly fire certain plugs. Simply put... bad data was used in troublesooting.

Oreo, the reason we are still kicking this back and forth is in the rare event someone else should stumble on this thread with a similiar problem we don't want them to run out and waste $$$ on a distributor/plugs/etc... thinking it will solve their problem.

Again my intent is to understand what was causing your problem initially!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »
I understand.. ask away