Author Topic: Electric Choke Conversion  (Read 16721 times)

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
Re: Electric Choke Conversion
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 06:42:35 AM »
Hey Dave So do you just use those block off plates to prevent the hot air from still traveling under the manifold?   Where is the place with the best price on those Electric chokes?  I need one for a conversion as well!  THx
No the block off plates just seal off the hole in the top of the carb,  as far as price I just bought mine from Cliff RUggles.  Not sure if he is cheapest or not but I know if I have an issue I can call for advice and honestly I am tired ou dealing with it so I went with him.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 06:43:22 AM »
Plug the hole. Even a minor leak can cause a problem with your a/f ratio. You can just use a small check ball or heck mix up some JB weld.
Thanks I'll see how it goes, I will try it without and if needed plug it later.  I can always go back and plug it is needed.
hey dave, the vacuum port MUST be plugged thats the one in the front of choke housing
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
Plug the hole. Even a minor leak can cause a problem with your a/f ratio. You can just use a small check ball or heck mix up some JB weld.
Thanks I'll see how it goes, I will try it without and if needed plug it later.  I can always go back and plug it is needed.
hey dave, the vacuum port MUST be plugged thats the one in the front of choke housing
on the outside or inside?
Dave
_______

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 06:34:10 PM »
outside frontlower part of choke housing
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »
outside frontlower part of choke housing
ok
Dave
_______

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
See, sometimes it's easier to just do the stock set up, one thing leads to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHYIGy1dyd8&ob=av3e
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 04:29:26 AM »
Got the electric choke in today, probably won't be able to get it till the weekend.  ALso got a really nice gasket for it, probably the same one you got Burd
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »
OK Electric choke is installed and has power to it.  GOt the car running but I think I have to hook up the vac line behind the choke.  It is currently set to 3 notches to the right of center.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:54:06 AM by N PRGRES »
Dave
_______

Offline Corellian Corvette

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
If you're running the car as shown in this picture you have all kinds of vaccum leaks. You need the Secondary pulloff connected for sure, I don't know what the metal line is - it's either the hot-air valve on the drives exhast manifold, the vaccum advance, or the transmission modulator ALL of which need to be connected. 

Set the choke to the center notch to start. Otherwise you're tuning the choke to work out of spec.

Lastly, if there is a felt gasket between the choke housing and the electric coil, remove it. The coil grounds to the houing. That gasket was only to seal the hot-air choke.
--------------
1972 Firebird Formula
1978 Trans Am
1965 Mustang
1965 Olds 442
1967 Galaxie Convertible
1968 Charger
1973 Stingray
1980 Triumph Spitfire

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
If you're running the car as shown in this picture you have all kinds of vaccum leaks. You need the Secondary pulloff connected for sure, I don't know what the metal line is - it's either the hot-air valve on the drives exhast manifold, the vaccum advance, or the transmission modulator ALL of which need to be connected. 

Set the choke to the center notch to start. Otherwise you're tuning the choke to work out of spec.

Lastly, if there is a felt gasket between the choke housing and the electric coil, remove it. The coil grounds to the houing. That gasket was only to seal the hot-air choke.

I realize there are leaks but I have to run the car to figure out which ports are sucking in air.  I don't care about the metal line right now, that runs to the trans.  Right now the question is where does the part that is "behind" the choke with the vac canister looking thing hook up to.  I will worry about the rest in a bit and there is no felt gasket installed
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:26:54 PM by N PRGRES »
Dave
_______

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
They pretty much all suck air, so I would get a pack of vinyl vacuum pipe caps from the auto parts store and plug them all, including the ones on your vacuum tree that should be coming out the back of your carb. Some will be "manifold" vacuum, which have vacuum all the time when running, and some are "ported" vacuum, which don't have vacuum until the throttle valve is at a certain angle. So, if you just plug them off now, the car will run well, and you can connect the appropriate hoses to them later. The vacuum tree behind the carb is manifold vacuum. The secondary vacuum break, which is the can on the back of the carb that you're asking about, should be connected to manifold vacuum. So, connect it to one of the ports off your vacuum tree behind the carb. Also, that black line laying loose under your choke is for vacuum to your heat/ac panel on the dash, so plug it also to one of the ports off your rear vacuum tree.

There are diagrams in the emissions section of the Pontiac service manual for your car that show where the hoses go and which ports on the carb are manifold and which are ported.
Steve F.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
The carb does not have a rear vac tree and is not the stock motor.... 

So manifold vac should be sucking in air as soon as the car is fired, correct?
Dave
_______

Offline Corellian Corvette

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
+ 1

You need to plug them all, first. Once the motor is running, remove them 1-by-1 to determine which are ported (no Vaccum at idle) or direct mainfold (will suck air at idle)

With that many leaks it's going to be hard to keep your engine running.

The Transmission line needs manifold.
The Vacuum advance is ported (this depends on you, but stock was ported)
The secondary choke valve needs full manfold after the engine is warm. If you do not have the stock vacuum temp sender on the front of the manifold, just run to manifold vaccum.

--------------
1972 Firebird Formula
1978 Trans Am
1965 Mustang
1965 Olds 442
1967 Galaxie Convertible
1968 Charger
1973 Stingray
1980 Triumph Spitfire

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
Ok, carb is on and all ports are plugged.  The secondary is connected to what I believe is manifold pressure.  Car runs as bad as it did before I went to this electric choke.  ugh, I hate carbs
Dave
_______

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
There is a metal plate on the bottom of the carb, does this go between the gasket and carb or between the manifold and gasket?
Dave
_______