Author Topic: 1979 trans am  (Read 107512 times)

Offline racereaper7

1979 trans am
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
hello every body im new to this site and i thought i would start off with my project, well its not really mine its my dads. i started march 2009 on getting it back in shape for my dad because he has done so much and i wanted to give him some thing back. this car is very special to me because of this,
well on with the pics, not much but im just getting started and $ are a little short.
1979 trans am firebird:
pics from i started to rebuild

car was repainted a couple years back with a guy we should not have trusted, i thought it was gone forever

cars ready for the car show

my dad and his t/a and me and my si

some really old pics back in the day

some pics before the paint job

Offline racereaper7

Re: 1979 trans am
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
sorry about all the pics, so i hope you all like what ive done so far. i know i should have kept the old carb on but something went wrong with the rebuild so i had to act quick and that was the only one i could get in time. im open for any pointers or input.
right now i need to work on interior but mostly the suspension because it pulls to one side and it feels really lose.
i also need to get the gas and tachometer gauges working if anyone might know what could be wrong that would be great.
thank you all for taking a look at my familys project

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Welcome to 78ta!  Looks like a nice car.  What part of Illinois are you from?

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
Nice car - welcome to the site.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline FF273

• Gone in 160 seconds....
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum. My question to you is "did that Edelbrock carb change the height of your shaker? and what size did you go with, and are you happy with it". Thanks.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 06:18:02 PM »
Sweet T/A . Hey is that a cop light lol ,you just put it on the center bar when you need to get somewhere fast

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
Welcome to the site!  Thanks for all the pictures.  You are doing a great thing for your dad.

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »
thanks for all the commets guys, im trying to get it up to what he had back in the day. getting it put up for winter for right now. thinking about having the rims cleaned and powder coated chrome or black(would like to do a whole black out theme).
FF273: with the carb question i got the edelbrock #1406 600 i guess its an economy carb though? i did not know i was in a rush to get a replacement.
it is a very tight fit not much space if any kind of have to get make the hood go down, it just very close because i had to get an adapter plate to make the spread to square bore? so that adds to the hight. it has been a little pain really a little more problem than i thought but i really did need a new carb.
i plan to get the edelbrock intake #2711 i think without the egr valve because there is no room to hook up the kick down cable, but it is a nice carb. i did at one point want to get the edelbrock intake manifold #7111 which is for the rpm series with the edelbrock heads but i needed the #1407 carb which is 750 so im probably going to keep with origanl parts for now. i just want to get every thing up in running saftley so i can get it over to my work and get it up on one of our lifts.

Offline Jolley_Man666

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:43:12 PM »
Welcome to the site.  I really like the T/A it's waaay cool 8)
1979 Heritage Brown T/A- 455 Olds Rocket

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »
kentuckyyeti: sorry i forgot to respond to your question, i live in bloomington/normal

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »
Keep up the great work and anytime you think you should take pictures...you should and then post them here because most of us a picture junkies...well I am anyway!!!

Waht a great thing to do for your Dad!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
OH and welcome to the site!!!! You'll love it here
Charlie

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »
ya i was telling the guy that helps me at work about how different people are, i was a big import guy and still am but its all about whos got the most$ or power... and i dont even go to my old forums any more. thats why im moving away from that. i have only been on here for a couple of days and i would have to say that you guys are nicer than that group.
thank you all for your welcomes and commits it means a lot. im hoping to save up until march/april when we get the ta out again and try to do more next year, i know i need to get the suspension,engine,interior up to date. for a xmas gift im going to try and get the rims powdercoated/cleaned. i think my dad would like that plus i have a back up plan just in case $ is not there. it should be here tomorrow, its not much but i think he will like it. pics of back up gift tomorrow if it comes on time.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 04:06:18 PM »
Nice thing about this site is that everyone is just happy for everyone else who has, likes, or wants a F/B or T/A. You don't get the "My car is better than yours" childish comments and BS and attitude that I have found on other forums and everyone is willing to want to help and answer questions.

Glad your abord and lets keep you motivated to keep working your dad's car!!
Charlie

Offline racereaper7

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:46 PM »
sorry for the bad pics but i wanted to show some pics of the suspension and maybe may see something thats wrong, these are all pics i shot with out looking so there kind of bad. i need to get off the ground to get a better look
couple notes-dad said something about the leaf springs being broken,he had some air ride installed,this was before i started the rebuild so that why there are so many spider webs