Trans Am Photos > Restoration Projects

a bit of work on my 77 TA

(1/50) > >>

Schroeder:
Well I decided to start my own little project thread instead of starting topics everyday with various questions for you guys.  With my own thread not only can I ask you questions, but I can keep you guys updated on what I'm doing (for those who care!).  I just got the engine out and there is a lot I can do now such as painting the frame, firewall, replacing body mounts, etc, etc. 

The main point of pulling this out was to kick off my efforts to go through this entire car.  I'm going to start by repainting the engine, replacing the rear main, and replacing the seals and bearings in my M21. 

Here some pictures to start you guys off.  Below these first several are some pictures of things that I have questions about....

Now here are the pictures concerning my questions....
1.  What is this on my steering column?  A neighbor told me this was for a automatic shifter on the column.  Where would this have come from?  I'd like to think that he is wrong because if he's right it means there is some incorrect piece of crap that was used to piece stuff together.

2. What is the little cut off wire knub sticking out of the firewall by the AC/heater box thing?  What's it for?  Anyone know?

3. Here is a shot taken under my car.  The bolt sticking out is a bolt connecting the cross member to my frame.  The bolt seems oversized because it was touching my floor pan.  Is it?  Or could my body be messed up?  Would smashed, junk body bushings cause this? 

4. What are these two snipped off wires that go into the car at the base of the brake booster for?

5. Does this paint removal on the door striker indicate that my doors are out of adjustment?

6. Is it normal that the subframe be pushed out like this where the bumper attaches to the subframe?  Heavy bolts with heavily splined bases push through so as to stop the bolt from spinning, so I'd assume this is normal, but thought I'd check.

NWW-79 T/A:
Looks cool. Is it a real SE?

joe d:
the linkage is for an auto shfter as they used the same columns in all
the wire knub i do not know but ll look on mine
the bolt is to hard to see from the pic
the 2 wires on booster look like after market maybe an alarm
car looks great

Schroeder:
It's an SE clone.  Thanks guys.  It is a lot of work that's for sure.  I'm going to replace all the gaskets and paint everything you see (except for the exterior of the car.)  Where can I get a small amount of paint for the engine?  I want something close to the corporate blue.  I think a quart would be way too much.  Where do you guys get your blue?

Also, do you guys have any suggestions on what paint to get for the exhaust manifolds and M21? 

This week is probably going to be a slow one for the car.  I have hmwk for school and may have to work one night this week too.  I hope to get stuff ready for blasting this weekend though.

Thanks for helping with the questions I have.  If you guys have more answeres or input I appreciate it!

ShakerBreaker:
cut off nub is vacuum for your ac/heat controls.
bolt is on trans crossmember-- just appears prior owner or whoever lost bolt and used one a little longer.
sub frame to bumper/bracket area spline area. that is very common . no worries there.

Is this a '77 or '78?
I'm seeing a little of both.
Just asking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version