Author Topic: Gap between tail panel and quarter panel  (Read 1703 times)

Offline 1973sd455

Gap between tail panel and quarter panel
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »
Just dismantled my 72 for restoration. There is a large gap between the rear body panel and the quarter panel on both sides. You can see right into the trunk with the bolt-on parts removed.  Has anyone ever seen this? Is this normal?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Gap between tail panel and quarter panel
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
Pictures?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 1973sd455

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »
I will post some today. Thank you.

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »
They were poorly welded there at the factory and I've seen gaps packed with seam sealer. The sealer may have been removed (or never installed). Panel bond nicely fills it and makes it stronger. Dig out any sealer, clean any rust or pitting, and pump in panel bond then wipe with your finger into the groove. Be sure to wear a latex/nitrile/whatever glove or the panel bond will be a pain to get off. After panel bond is dry sand with 80 grit to rough it in, then 180 grit and then prep/prime for paint like any other area.

You can see the black panel bond on the sides (top pic before sanding). Very little panel bond is noticable after sanding (2nd pic) and once primed (3rd pic) is undetectable. The panel bond locks out moisture so if the area is properly cleaned it works great for this area.

Any possibility the car was poorly repaired there long ago and the rear panel was replaced?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:58:39 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X