Author Topic: SUNROOF  (Read 11791 times)

Offline cody852

SUNROOF
« on: May 03, 2006, 07:14:27 PM »
do 1978 trans ams come factory with a sunroof

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
SUNROOF
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:24:43 AM »
No Trans Ams came with a sunroof from the factory.  Some dealers installed them on cars, but none were from the factory.  I have had original owners tell me "Well, my car came with this when I bought it brand new from the dealer"......  Just because that is what it had when it left the dealer does not mean that is what it had when it left the factory.  There is a difference between "Factory Installed" and "Dealer Installed".
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline MrMojoRisin681

SUNROOF
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:39:12 PM »
Mine has a sun roof unfortunately.  When I get ready for a paint job i'm gonna get rid of it  :D .
img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/MrMojoRisin681/MIFBODYSIG.jpg[/img]
1978 Firebird Formula 350 SBC

Offline cody852

SUNROOF
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 07:13:25 PM »
another thing how rare is it to have a sunroof in a 78 trans am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
SUNROOF
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
It is really rare because they did not make them with sunroofs.  So there is a total of ZERO made with sunroofs..... the sunroof is aftermarket.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Merlin

SUNROOF
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 12:46:47 PM »
As far as value goes, to be quite honest with you, most of the sunroof cars I've seen are actually hurt in price by the sunroof.  
For one reason or another, people just don't like to see sunroofs on their Firebirds and Trans Ams, especially with other options like T-Tops.
I've never read that anywhere or anything, but from watching eBay and other online car sales sites, that's just what I've noticed.

Offline Larry Navarro

SUNROOF
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 08:12:55 PM »
Here's my opinion on sunroofs on the firebirds.
I own a SD455 T/A with a motorized metal sunroof that moves rearward inside the roof cavity. It was ordered by the original owner and was installed by ASC(american sunroof co.) which was and still is, a subcontractor for GM and other manufacturers.
The sunroofs were installed on many rare musclecars such as the Hurst Olds, Pontiac Grand Prix, Grand Am and a host of other cars.
I and others, consider these installations an option just like any other that a customer would have requested when ordering a new car.
These units tend to enhance value to vehicles because the option was available through GM.

On the other hand, those sunroofs that were aftermarket pop-up items installed at a custom van shop, really don't add to the cars value.