Author Topic: Window defroster grids  (Read 1608 times)

Offline TAKID455

Window defroster grids
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
Looking for a way to install a grid on a the rear glass.  Glass currently has no grid. Does anyone make something like this? I see repair kits, but that is not what I need.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Re: Window defroster grids
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
If I may be nosy and ask. Are you wanting to add rear defroster to a car that currently doesn't have rear defroster? I mean it looks obvious from your post.  If so, are you opposed to changing the back glass out?

Like you I remember seeing the grid repair stuff in Year One but I cannot recall a whole grid being offered. In todays technology you'd think it would be rather simple. A setup kinda like vinyl lettering/decals. Peel off one side and lay in place, then smooth out and remove the top paper
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »
Add on aftermarket grids used to be available but they look like doo doo.  I added rear defrost to my car but I opted for a factory rear glass with the grid already there.
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline fb_rider

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
Here's the only thing I've ever found that MIGHT work:
http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm

With that said, I have a couple of rear defrost windows with wires still attached.  I don't think any of them are perfect, but some of the circuits work.  PM me if you're interested in one.
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »
Everything but the window grid and purple wire that runs in the wire tray is already in the dash IP harness.  All you need is the switch, relay, rear window with grid and the purple wire.  Then it's just plug and play.

Wndows can be found at the salvage yard.  Eunan (john007) and I pulled one from a Camaro about six months ago.  It took about an hour of cussing on a very hot day, but we popped it out.  The salvage yard didn't charge much either but we had to pull it.  The key to getting a window is to make sure it's not scratched and it has the wire ends attached.  Sometimes the wires get cut and you might as well pass on those.  The grids, if broken, can be repaired.

I added one to my four speed.

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
I will look into that frost kit. that is what I am looking to do.

I have decent factory glass w/ the strips , however, it is tinted green. I plan to install smoke tinted side windows which wont jive w/ the green for consistency. The intent is to get new plain glass have it tinted and add the grid.
2nd Gen Engineering

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »
Larry, Not sure if you interested in the defroster just to add the option or for functionality. I wanted my car to be loaded and I decided to add the defogger instead. It still adds the switch to the dash and looks cool to me. Let me know if you need the purple wire, relay, etc.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »
The car came with defrost from the factory.  Weighing ideas for teh car as I am completing the resto. Car came out a bit nicer than planned so parts that are good for basic drivers/ restos wont cut it for this guy. I will be shelving those pars and replacing them with better used or new parts.
2nd Gen Engineering