Author Topic: Window sweeps  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Coach Mike

• Bringing this bird back after a long hibernation!
Window sweeps
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
I have a 78 Formula with the Deluxe trim on the doors and I found some window sweeps made by Fairchild through Rock Auto at a pretty decent price for all four parts.  Just got new carpet from RA and they were very good with the pricing and delivery.  Just wondering if anyone else has used the Fairchild brand sweeps and were you happy with the fit, etc.  Lots of info on these sweep parts in the site when searching and I don't want surprises with sub-standard replacements for this job. ::)

Thanks,

Mike
'78 Formula in Martinique Blue
'95 Coupe in Red
'06 RX8 in Copper Red - only 'cuz they stopped making Firebirds

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: Window sweeps
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »
Never used Fairchild so I can't speak of them.... but I am sure they fit just like any other reproduction part... not that well. I see they had the carpet for $153... mine is $139 for the same thing just to let you know. Yes they are $13 cheaper on the outer set of sweeps, but never used Fairchild before.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »
4speed had some repo outer sweeps.  He ended up buying the originals and selling the repo's because the repo's didn't fit all that well.

Offline DEEZPAZ

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »
Brett,
You should maybe put your store as its own forum at the top of the Classifieds section b/c I think most people don't know how much stuff you really have..  I honestly didnt' know it existed until I heard some guys talking about it even though its right on the home page next to the forum tab...  I'm sure more people would buy from here then other off sites as they could get hands on experience and know they are buying a quality part at a great price...  Just my $.02

Offline kc79ta

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
Bought some repo's from Classics, the $50 pair, cheap..very cheap. Not at all happy with them. Don't know what brand they are, as it is not stated. Will be looking into getting some GM sweeps soon.
Keith

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »
That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.  I know of some of the brands and vendors that folks have not been happy with, but I also am not real excited about shelling out $$$ for original GM's.  I'm the original owner of this car and even the factory sweeps never fit very well on the car.  I'm surprised that the doors still look as good as they do quite frankly.

If there are other options that people may have tried that they were happy with, I'd love to hear them.  I have contacted Brett here and he also said the PUI type that he carries are kind of hit or miss.

Thanks again Guys!!!

Mike
'95 Coupe in Red

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
Kind of leaning toward the ones from Ames so far as they seemed to have some good consistent comments.
'95 Coupe in Red

Offline DEEZPAZ

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »
You can find the inner/outer sweeps on Feebay sometimes for $50-75 each depending on who's bidding on them but I would try and find some GM's as you don't have to worry about quality..

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »
You can still get them at the dealer,I would go there, i got 2 inners and 2 outers at the chevy dealer.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
How much are they running from the dealer for the GM parts?
'95 Coupe in Red

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
I looked for the receipt, but it's not there, it may be in the tube w/parts, if I can remember, $110 for the outers, I cant remember on the inners, I picked up 2 of each.Any GM dealer can check for you.How are you attaching the inners? I heard NPD has them also.

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »
Looks like I have the staples to deal with like others have posted on the procedure.  I took the outers off just to see how it is done and then put them back ... pretty easy really.  I have the interior stripped so far since I'm fixing up floor spots of rust.  I'll take off all the outside trim to get ready for paint, then replace all the trim and put new weather stripping, etc.  I bought new carpet already so I'm going to be ready for paint very soon ... I hope :)
'95 Coupe in Red

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Trust me the outers were a nightmare, it put my windows on a diff angle, I had to re-adjust everything, It turned into a 2 day project.