Author Topic: Window sweeps with chrome decor package  (Read 756 times)

Offline JKwon

Window sweeps with chrome decor package
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »
My '78 TA came with the chrome decor package. I have actually 3 questions here.  #1 When I go to replace the outer window sweeps, does the trim piece on the door have to come off?  #2 If i wanted to remove the chome decor trim on the door top to clean underneath, how is that done?  #3 I am missing the hood trim piece. I purchased a replacement from Franks Pontiac parts out in CA.  It is not the same shape and does not have the 3D look as the trim pieces on the trailing edge of the fenders tops and the tops of the doors.  Is this the correct trim piece, or does the correct trim piece have the same shape/form as the fender/door pieces?  Any and all help is appreciated.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Window sweeps with chrome decor package
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:27:12 AM »
No, don't need to remove the door decor trim strips to renew the outer seals.

You can gently prise the strips off the studs, either the clip will pull free of the stud or more likely the strip will come off the clip, they only bump on. But be careful as easy to damage a strip if you bend it too much and then they stay with a kink in it.

Shoot up a pic of the hood trim if you have one. Is is the right length for the hood width? Camaro used a slightly different profile but also a different length and can't be used on Firebird hoods. If you mean the strong, raised centre line shape then no, the hood strips seem to taper off from each end to a more plain, slightly curved strip across the centre with the centre line much softer. I'd imagine if the length is correct then you have the right piece.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:30:06 AM by Aus78Formula »