Author Topic: awesome axe ripping  (Read 8368 times)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
awesome axe ripping
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »
 thought those into playing guitar would appreciate this...  Zakk is the man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE

talk about a POWER BALLAD
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Helter80

Re: awesome axe ripping
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
Terry Kath, the first guitarist from the band Chicago, was actually praised by Jimi Hendrix too. I once saw an interview with Hendrix, and he said he was at a Chicago show, and Hendrix's exact words about Terry Kath was "I'm good, but that guy is better than me". Hendrix was phenominal. Terry Kath was amazing too. Both had different unique playing styles. I take it you guys play guitar? I play guitar and keyboards. I have a lot of solo music that I have written and played in numerous bands over the years.
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:34:59 PM »
I dabble a little is all, but to see someone like Zakk, Slash,Young, Etc ( even BB King) is awesome. each has thier own style and thats what makes playing guitar so interesting and unique.  Hendicks was definately ahead of his time.

Hammer. Phil is very very good, his style is soothing to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:38:54 PM by rarebird »
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »
I like Zakk Wylde too. This is one of my favorite of his songs. He wrote it as a tribute to Dimebag Darrel after he was shot and killed. It really struck a cord with me because I lost one of my best friends right after high school to the Mississippi River.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzIN3v4knbs&feature=related

There are a lot of great guitar players out there for every genre of music.
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline gregh

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:01:54 AM »
A distinction needs to be made between  a phenomanal physical  talent with great hand speed and the artist/innovator.  Hendrix was an artist he did things nobody did before.  He was copied and others took what he started and pushed it to new levels but he was the one that started it.  On a lesser scale EVH did it as his playing style was considered unorthodox and was so different than anything up to that point.    It is easy to emulate or improve on a product(Japan has been doing it for a long time(taking something created and tweaking it)) but the art is in the actual creation.  Think about it like a painting any halfway decent artist can copy the mona lisa but there is only 1 original.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:03:25 AM by gregh »

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »
No need to appologize Michael.  Every guitarist you named I also like. I even like more than you didnt list... each has thier own style and character. thats what makes the music industry what it is today.. VARIETY... on a sad note there will never be anyone to the likes of Randy Rhoads, Waylon Jennings, Jimmy Hendricks, etc because they all gave us something to be inspiried and touched by. If you could talk to any guitarist in the industry today they all have someone they looked up to for inspiration. Also they will mostly say that someone else is a much better player than they are. Even Tom Petty has a style thats appreciated.
UH HUMH..... Earth, Wind and Fire????   I pictured you to be more of a Electric Lights Orchastra ( E.L.O. ) type  LOL
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »

The good guitarists, you know the ones, that can make a guitar sound like voice when it sings and puts a lump in your throat from its beauty. You can't get that kind of response out of a keyboard ...

Hammer

Try telling that to Billy Powell.  Not many guys can make a grand piano fit in with rock music, but he has had a few keyboard solos on #1 songs.  With my biased opinions on Skynyrd though, I would have to say that Gary Rossington is, and Allan Collins was, also in the elite group of guitarists who bring that something extra to the music.  All I can play is the radio :-[

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:48 AM »

[/quote]

Try telling that to Billy Powell.  Not many guys can make a grand piano fit in with rock music, but he has had a few keyboard solos on #1 songs.  With my biased opinions on Skynyrd though, I would have to say that Gary Rossington is, and Allan Collins was, also in the elite group of guitarists who bring that something extra to the music.
[/quote]

You are right Mike, Powell tickled the keys like no other.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Helter80

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »
Hammer: have you listened to early Chicago? when they were called The Chicago Transit Authority?  They were even better then. The guitarist would practically light the fretboard on fire! LOL

Another awesome guitarist who is often overlooked is Stephen Stills from Crosbly Stills and Nash. Stills could tear it up.
I really like 70's progressive rock too, groups like  Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, early Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was the singer)  I like a lot of keyboards and synthesizers too.
www.transamplus.com
Rob

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
early Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was the singer)  I like a lot of keyboards and synthesizers too.

Ha!  I told someone at work that Gabriel was the original singer for Genesis and they all laughed at me.  No one knows Genesis existed before Phil Collins.  Thank you- I am gonna pull this post up at work today and show them!

Offline Helter80

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
early Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was the singer)  I like a lot of keyboards and synthesizers too.

Ha!  I told someone at work that Gabriel was the original singer for Genesis and they all laughed at me.  No one knows Genesis existed before Phil Collins.  Thank you- I am gonna pull this post up at work today and show them!

HAHA, that is so funny because Genesis was phenominal when Peter Gabriel was the singer. the music was intense, long, and VERY complex. once the 80's came......BAM they turned into pop-rock junk.
Not many people know that Gabriel was the original singer. I think it is because they became so mainstream in the 1980's with Phil Collins as the singer, so that is what everyone knows them for. They were very big in Europe in the Gabriel years. He used to wear crazy costumes, and the stage had lots of theatrics and physcadellic visuals for the music themes. It was the beginning of multimedia.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:52:30 AM by Helter80 »
www.transamplus.com
Rob

Offline 79transam92

• my myspace
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »
I get annoyed when people say "Jimmy" Hendrix, it's "Jimi Hendrix"
1979 T/A, 403 engine, posi tract, needs interior and body work, needs paint, an engine rebuild couldn't hurt, needs the nice weather of summer again, BTW, I have a 94 Chevy Silverado also

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »
sorry to have annoyed you... it was a typo error of habit. have 3 family members that spell it JIMMY.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline fireman_033

• [img]http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/d/9146-
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »
SRV

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com