Author Topic: More Electrical issues  (Read 5724 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: More Electrical issues
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »
That connector with the green and brown wires is for the timing circuit on your pulse wipers.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
We tried that, but it just makes them go on and stay on.  Why won't my car start though?
I have a really weird feeling that the super long mystery wire number one goes to the starter. Does this make sense, as if someone was trying to bypass the neutral safety switch. Because, I remember before I did all this wiring, my car WOULD start in Drive etc.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:07:32 PM by Anastasiofan92 »
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
yes i was about to say the long one might go to your starter.....on your post that the battery connects to. as for the brown and green wire it does appear to go to your wiper,  but the wipers going to the wiper are black dark blue and yellow with a black stripe, and wiper pumps are dark blue and yellow with black stripe....other than the brown wire that goes to the alternator, and the brown wire that goes to the front lamp harness, i dont see any other brown wires under the hood,  green wires are kinda all over the place, there is dark green and light green, but nowhere in my service manual can i find a brown and green connector coming through the firewall like that...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »
So at this point it's just a guess and run with it game? And the best guess is to try that long cable down to the battery post on the starter?

What explains the turn signal not working? Or do those only work with the car on?
Does that long wire just bypass the neutral safety switch somehow? I looked under the steering column and don't see anything that resembles pictures I've found of neutral safety switches..

However I DO see a metal tab next to the firewall in the engine compartment right under the brake booster.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:44:13 PM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 09:48:26 PM »
Timing circuit connector is the brown wire and green wire.....that's for sure.  The other wires Eroc is mentioning goes to the wiper motor. You have issues with your wipers.

I haven't read the whole thread.  Measure the voltage of that "long wire" when you're trying to start the car and see if it's got current.  By not starting I assume you mean the starter motor doesn't crank the engine.

Make sure that metal tab is pulled all the way up.  Is that connected to a linkage to the transmission?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:50:44 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
Nothing even makes a sound when I attempt to crank it.. Is my wiper motor bad then? The switch operates the wipers fine, but once I plug that brown and green thing in, it just goes crazy and makes the wipers go without the switch even being on...

Is that metal tab my neutral safety switch? If so, what do I  need to look for?

Hmm, I need to get under it to see if it's connected to anything.. So if that tab is not connected to the tranny, then the car automatically won't start when I wire everything in the engine back to stock right?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:52:50 PM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »
The metal tab controls the neutral start switch (I assume you have an automatic).  That tab needs to be connected via a rod and linkage to the transmission.  When the transmission is in Park or neutral, it positions the neutral start switch to allow current to flow to the starter when you turn the key.  It's a safety device that precludes you from starting the car in gear.  I guarantee that connector is for the pulse wipers.....those wires go through the firewall along with the tach signal wire through the same grommet.  Guaranteed.

On your wipers, you either have a bad switch or a bad motor.  If it's the original sliver colored motor.....don't screw around with it.  They still sell them new.  Just replace it.  If that doesn't fix the problem, replace the switch.  Chances are the motor is shot.  Eroc was looking at the pull out schematic....pulse wipers are located in the accessory section.  Pulse wipers aren't on the main wiring diagram.

I'm not sure what that long wire is for, but my guess is it powered a radio at some point.  If it doesn't go back through the bulkhead connectors behind the  brake booster then it's an add on and you can find the other side under the dash.

Edit:
If the tab isn't connected....just pull it up as far as it will go.  That is the "Park" position.  The car should crank at that position.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:03:14 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
After school tomorrow I'll try to investigate what exactly that metal tab goes to and I'll be sure to let you know. I'll take a picture so we can decipher this ourselves easily. Do you have a part number for the wiper motor by any chance?

I'll track down that long wire too while I'm at it. Shouldn't be too hard..

At this point what are the odds that the metal tab is preventing the car from starting? With all that screwy wiring that was in the car before I replaced it, I would put it at about 80% right now considering that my car actually DID start in drive until now. I'm going to bet that somehow that tab was bypassed with the old wiring and that now, since it's back to stock, we're looking at having to fix the problem that the previous owner just avoided..

I connected the starter wire to the S Terminal, I assume this is correct.

Also why aren't my turn signals working? Does that car have to be started for the signals to work in the tail lights/front parking lamps?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:07:59 PM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »
Just go to the parts store and ask for a pulse wiper motor assembly for your car.  I assume you have a 78 from the connector.

It's a high probability that while you were trying to sort out wires you hit that tab down.  I hope that's what it is...cause that's easy.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »
Cool. Any ideas on the signal issue?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
i think the tab ta78w72 is talking of is the linkage for the column safety switch, it it will have a hole in it for a 1/4in rod to go through, best thing to check is that it is pulled up as far as possible, or go inside and the collar that moves behind the steering wheel without moving the steering wheel is as far counter clockwise as possible, your other wire might be some sort of accessory feed, so to test that without having to unbolt anything from the starter to see if it is the problem, secure it to the pos side of the battery.....if it does in fact allow your motor to crank over, find out what it goes to and see about fixing it...as for your turn signals, your key must be on, and sometimes just replacing the relay helps......do you have marker lights when the lights are on?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:21 AM »
Yea I have marker lights when the lights are on.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I just read the part about your car cranking in drive.  I missed that last night.  If it would do that, then your neutral start switch is deactivated.  It doesn't mean that long wire goes to the starter though.  It could indicate that your column linkage has been disconnected and that tab in the engine bay was simply pulled up to set the neutral start switch to remain in the "park" setting no matter what gear you're in. 

As far as your blinkers, lets get the car started before we take on that problem.  But check the bulbs first.

As far as your windshield wipers staying on, there's a section that covers that in the body manual.  But, as I stated before, it's probably simpler to replace the motor and if needed, the switch.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
After school, if I don't have to work, I'll look around and take some pictures for you guys and let you take a look.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »
Mike did you ever figure anything out?