Author Topic: 1976 Trans Am 455 4spd...Finally...  (Read 13151 times)

Offline TxBandit911

Re: 1976 Trans Am 455 4spd...Finally...
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »
Awesome car! Welcome to the 76er club X2.  I agree, a nice original is always cool no matter what it was from the factory. But you gotta be happy with what you're doing to keep the motivation up during those times when the project seems overwhelming. You make a mental picture of the finished car, maybe even have a rendering drawn and tack up on the garage wall, and keep trucking till you have the car finished. Good luck, we'll be here rooting you on.
Side note, if nobody else told you. You need to stand that crank up on it's end, hard on them to lay like that. same with the heads and flywheel. ;)

Yeah, I took the pics right after I unloaded everything, I squared it away as soon as I could...:)

Thats the thing, I like the original idea...but darn it, its like I want two cars!!! lol. Either way, I got time to think about it as I replace the rotted metal and get the body back in solid condition. As of right now, its a 50/50 if I'll go original or not. The way I see it, I can make this a clone, and do the few upgrades I want and its no big deal, or I can go original color inside and out, but I am still going to do the few upgrades I want, either way, the purists will give me crap for it, lol.

I see this project as saving a car that someone didnt love anymore, we as people can grow and change over time to our full potential, why cant a car? I have some friends over on a LS1 board, and they think I am nuts for not just throwing a big cube LSX engine in it and a 6spd tranny and one of those expensive front subframes with coilovers and all that crazy stuff....one guy even said I should put a T/A front end on it (cause he thinks ALL 2nd gen T/A's look like a Bandit car)

What I want is simple, a great looking car, with a few upgrades to make it a little more fun to drive, not a chopped up monstrosity that no one can tell what it was in 1976.
I'll get this done some day...

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
Oh yeah....I played with the Engine today after work.

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
So, I was going to put up some pics of the tear down, I pulled the rear bumper and tail lights out....and then I was doing some grinding and got a sliver of metal stuck in my eye and spent the day at the hospital getting it removed....just my luck.

I'll have more pics up soon...

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
dude..... please tell me the sliver got in even though you wore safty glasses.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
dude..... please tell me the sliver got in even though you wore safty glasses.

If course....I tilted my head to get a little better view of what I was doing and it slid right behind them....then ouch....I then finished my work and went to bed, when I got up this morning it was badly swolen and hurt like hell...so I figured I would go see the doc....

I always feel stupid going to see the Doc, cause I'm a medic, and this stuff isnt supposed to happen to us, lol

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
I had a pc in my eye years ago, a small pc, it started to rust, and got a huge infection. I wasn't even working on a mustang!
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
That's the problem with safety glasses, stuff can still get around them. Goggles or a full face shield would be better even though they do nothing for the fashion police ;)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
That's the problem with safety glasses, stuff can still get around them. Goggles or a full face shield would be better even though they do nothing for the fashion police ;)

Well, if you cant look cool while working on a trans am, whats the point? lol

Offline ksirb94

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
Well if it was a Camaro and you wanted to look cool while working on it, all you'd need is a mullet and a trailer park. lol
1977 T/A being restored

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
Well if it was a Camaro and you wanted to look cool while working on it, all you'd need is a mullet and a trailer park. lol
Lmao
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Welcome to the show.  You have a great car.  My 2 cents is to keep the color and interior stock.  I would add interior engine mods like a cam to keep the stock look from the outside.  Also, I would go with an eagle one crank.  This will give you a longer stroke punching the motor out to something like 468 or 474 will get you more compression with the stock numbers matching heads.  This will be the best way to get some big power gains. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:41:46 PM by kjkjkcjkcj »
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »
Welcome to the show.  You have a great car.  My 2 cents is to keep the color and interior stock.  I would add interior engine mods like a cam to keep the stock look from the outside.  Also, I would go with an eagle one crank.  This will give you a longer stroke punching the motor out to something like 468 or 474 will get you more compression with the stock numbers matching heads.  This will be the best way to get some big power gains.

Yeah, I got some plans....but I really dont like red interior...never have. If it was tan, black or blue interior it would for sure stay. I also have some plans for the engine, forged internals for sure on that one and some other improvements here and there.

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »

Yeah, I got some plans....but I really dont like red interior...never have. If it was tan, black or blue interior it would for sure stay. I also have some plans for the engine, forged internals for sure on that one and some other improvements here and there.
Seems like swapping the interior color would be a pain in the a$$. Youd have to buy new seat covers, headliner and carpet, door panels. Take out and paint all the hard parts like the dash.
Romney/Ryan 2012

Offline TxBandit911

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »

Seems like swapping the interior color would be a pain in the a$$. Youd have to buy new seat covers, headliner and carpet, door panels. Take out and paint all the hard parts like the dash.

Well, since 95% of the interior is rotted, cracked, or missing to begin with, buying or painting the remaining 5% isnt that big of a deal...

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
I guess that would make sense. I wasn't saying not to do it, just that it would be a lot of work lol
Romney/Ryan 2012