Author Topic: 4 Relay power window installed!!  (Read 27788 times)

Offline lee01

4 Relay power window installed!!
« on: May 26, 2008, 11:21:46 PM »
Well I finaly got around and finish my power window 4 relay setup.  ;D

I found out that my driver side motor need to be either replace or rebuilt. But I manage to do a little 4 sec video of my passenger side going down. Oh!! Did I mention it was the first time in over a decade that this window didn't move!!
To make matter worst, i'm only running this test on my soso battery (11volt)

Good thing about this 4 relay setup, the volt gauge didn't even buldge when I power the window down!! Now that a first.
Plus I realize that I haven't finish connection my new door to chassis ground!  :-X

So its working really good at it is, imagine with full recharged battery, good ground and clean & grease window run.

Here my setup:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v628/lee01/Auto%20Nikkonos/?action=view&current=DCP_6282.mp4

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:03:44 AM by lee01 »
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: 4 Relay power window installed!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:18 PM »
That's really cool.  I don't have power windows, but what you've done is what GM should have done in the original design.  Good job! :) :)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:14:41 AM »
Thanks for the pix...those go in "the file"  ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »
That's a nice set up. i like your choice of mounting locations for the relays. Nice JOB!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:41:34 AM »
Lee01,

Nice clean install of the window wiring. I'm sure you had no problem hooking it up as many times as you re-drew the circuit. You probably had bad dreams about that drawing.

That's where I plan to put the relays as well. Protected from the weather (meaning not in the doors with the motors which is a possibility) and easily accessable in case you need to get to them. I'm thinking I will leave enough wire that I can pull the relays out from under the console to make access even easier. I'll just have to see when I get there.

I'm very excited for you that you got the circuit wired up and working. Good job !!

Are you going to do the power locks with relays as well? I have the schematic. As I said before, it's just hand written so it's not pretty but you're welcome to use it. I can take a pic of it and email it or post it either one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 08:04:07 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:27:08 AM »
Did you reroute the wires from the back of the console to the front?  That would make sense and make the runs shorter.

Offline lee01

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
!

Are you going to do the power locks with relays as well? I have the schematic. As I said before, it's just hand written so it's not pretty nut you're welcome to use it. I can take a pic of it and email it or post it either one.
Well i'm glad for all the help provided for the diagram, with out it, i probably be still be undone and probably with couple short and sparks! lol

I don't have power locks nor have the parts to do them.  You can send it to me I will work on a diagram like the power window in my lost time.
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline lee01

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »
I,m thinking about making a plug and play type of setup to offer for sale.

What do you guys think?

I would make a box made with connector, wiring & instruction.

I got a pretty good idea of how it would look and it would be very easy to install.

Would this benifit the T/A (camaro also I guess) communite??
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
I think it would be an excellent idea -- marketing it would be the problem, but it's definitely needed for F-body cars (as well as any others) that had the original crappy design.  I know a lot of people would probably buy it rather than figure it out for themselves, but keep in mind that you may und up competing with a bunch of Chinese villagers setting in a mud hut on assembly costs. ::)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
or you could just donate your pictorial drawing, correct one of course, to the web site ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 78ta

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:15 PM »
or you could just donate your pictorial drawing, correct one of course, to the web site ?
Eroc,
I think that was the plan from the beginning. He's just waiting on me or someone to come up with the write up on the install with pics. I'm sure he'd be glad to email it to anyone that needed it though it can probably be found by searching power windows and reading the thread as well.
Randy

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »
hey good work....
would you beable to draw up in paint or something of a wire diagram with factory colors and all? I think i could figure it out on my own but its always nice to have a 2nd reference to go by to double check its the right way as you actually got it to work correct.
'80 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car
'81 Trans Am (Y84 recreation) "SOLD"
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"
'82 Firebird (Trans am clone) "SOLD"
'81 Firebird (1st car) "Wrote off"
'98 Trans Am Ws6 Ram Air "SOLD"

Offline lee01

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
Here my diagram.
Its a prett y well strait foward job.
The diagram i think its quite clear.
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline 78ta

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »
I was going to post the link to the original thread where we worked it out so you could see the diagram but Lee01 beat me to it. Here's the link to it anyway. Maybe there is some other helpful info in it you could pick up.
 http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8202.15

Here's the link to the web site that has what I think is the best price for the relays. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073 Also check out the drop down menu below the pic of the relay. They also offer pigtails (plugs with wires already attached) to simpify wiring if you have to remove or replace a relay in the future.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 08:07:40 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline lee01

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
I was going to post the link to the original thread where we worked it out so you could see the diagram but Lee01 beat me to it  ;D ;D. Here's the lnk to it anyway. Maybe there is some other helpful info in it you could pick up.
 http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8202.15

Here's the link to the web site that has what I think is the best price for the relays. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073 Also check out the drop down menu below the pic of the relay. They also offer pigtails (plugs with wires already attached) to simpify wiring if you have to remove or replace a relay in the future.

Again Thank 78ta for the help.

If you want to buy from Ebay, here where i bought my kit
10 relay + 10 connector for 27.00$ shipped to canada
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360040335149
Came in within a week. 8)

Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4